Hosed again by setup with "The data is invalid"

UberGeek451

I thought I'd post here since this seems to be an unusual error that seemed to be resolved a while back.

I'm creating an updated Win2k SP5 installation using using Kurt's posting "Up-to-date Windows 2000 install media creation guide".

Although I have been using Unattend installs for several years I decided to give nLite a try. After spending three long evenings trying to get this procedure to work, every time I run my commands the setup fails with the error "Setup was unable to build the list of files to be copied. The data is invalid"

Google points to a few obscure postings of earlier releases along with suggestions to change the command parameters which I have done with no success. Another tip was to switch to the same OS, but this didn't work either.

Before I blow another night on this perhaps some of you might point me in the right direction. Here are the basics:

a.) As I regressed back to a simple slipstream, the installation succeeded and began dumping files as expected.

b.) No other variations of nLite seen to work, although I'm continuing to test.

c.)It is necessary to run the unattend command since I'm running multiboot setups on several machines and MUST point Windows to the selected partition or wage another battle. I also prefer to run this from a HDD flat file, not a CD/DVD install.

d.) I've checked the WINNT.SIF for errors and see none EXCEPT FOR the line:

[GuiRunOnce]

"%SystemRoot%\System32\nLite.cmd"

Although nLite.cmd can not be found, deleting the entry in WINNT.SIF makes no difference either.

Win2K command sequences are variations of the following:

G:\WIN2K_SP4CD\I386\winnt32.exe /unattend:G:\WIN2K_SP4CD\I386\Winnt.sif /syspart:O: /tempdrive:O:

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure why this always fails and questioning my sanity for wasting so much time to coax a simple installation sequence that was much easier the old fashioned way.

I must be doing something dreadfully wrong. Is it possible that I've overlooked the obvious, and the only way to get this this to work is from a CD/DVD?

A few notes: I haven't slipstreamed Win2000, so please answer this: AFAIK, the last SP was SP4. Does this slipstream properly? Is there some unofficial SP5 package, or you are referring to the post-SP4 updates? If there is an SP5, I'm not sure nLite was made to slipstream it properly.

[GuiRunOnce]
"%SystemRoot%\System32\nLite.cmd"

is fine, I get that too. It enters the data in the registry for a successful RunOnce(ex) at first logon. Why you don't have the file on your newly installed system is a mystery to me.

If by "Kurt" you mean Kurt_Aust, maybe you should wait around for an answer from him.

<br><br>Good luck and welcome to MSFN<br>

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

I finally managed to straighten out this problem by changing to a standard nLite procedure.

What a lovely little program! What a joy to see a fresh installation appear on my network.

After fighting Windows for a week over a bungled COM+/Update/Security/Installer Failure/Crippled DCOM from a simple update, I was in a very surly mood, fully expecting to have to rebuild Framework 2

BTW, the W2K flat file unattend went perfectly, installing to the same drive and right next door to the partition containing my tattered OS without Windows raising a bloody tantrum!!!

A bottle of wine later and the system is running stable, clean, and simple. Ooooh Lucky Day!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm fairly sure my snag was the result of an errant driver install.

What's the definitive word from the pro's on driver packaging?

I was always under the impression that the following applied:

inf's are a must

cat's are a plus

dll's are ok

sys's are ok

exe's are VERBOTTEN!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This still doesn't solve the nagging audio, video, and modem drivers which run on executable's.

Kurt's bat files got me gears a turnin, shedding some valuable insight into a more complicated multi-batch process I could never manipulate, Dell's Media Center installation on top of Win XP Pro.

It may be far fetched but wouldn't it be sweet if links to executable's could be placed on run once registry keys or cmd files pointing to locations outside of the installation package (ie:like program installer's). Don't know about most people but I typically keep copies of the exe's from my favorite app's in specific directories, and we all have program files.

Wouldn't this be the ultimate trick for a future nLite release! A link to an executable / copy / paste to file sequence...D:\XProgram Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe is just one example.

In reply to Sp0iLedBrAt:

Your question was one that puzzled me too. I ended up using my original SP3 CD, slipstreaming a copy of SP4, saving the distribution and moving in sequence to Kurt's SP5.1

Thank God for big fat hard drives!