Can't sign out

AnnieMS

When I hit the Sign-Out link the page just reloads and whenever I come back I'm already signed in. I use Firefox 3.6.3 w/ NoScript, but I have everything allowed for this site: intellitxt.com, googleapis.com & quantserve.com as well as msfn.org. I checked my profile, but I didn't see anything I might have checked unintentionally. What am I overlooking?

Thanks gamehead200 & Tripredacus,

I don't see anything in my msfn settings for changing logout options. I also have BetterPrivacy, but flash cookies are deleted after I logout and shut down firefox and I've had BetterPrivacy since I joined the forum w/ no previous problems. If I need to keep a flash cookie for the new msfn I can except it.

I recently installed Corel IE tab so I could use windows update w/out ie, which is always crashing. I disabled it just to see. W/ all the security concerns MS & Firefox are always adding this and disabling that, so I'm never caught up-to-date on what add-ons I actually have working or where they came from. I could try firefox in safe mode and see what happens.

Basically, I haven't got a clue. 'Course, it's nice not to have to logon, but I figure msfn has a reason for making us log on and off.

Thanks Tripredacus

I always have firefox set to delete all cookies on closing BUT when I upgraded to 3.6.3 that setting didn't go over. For some reason firefox is making it increasingly harder to find where to set automatic deletion for cookies, forms, etc. You now have to go to "History: Firefox will:" on the Privacy tab in Tools > Options and choose "Custom settings for history". Then you can choose what to have firefox remember and what to delete. I had to search firefox forums to find it.

I'm now set to delete cookies again, so I should have to login next time.

Well, I'm still logged in. I had cookies on firefox set to be kept until closing. I manually cleared them today [via Tools > Clear Recent History; I don't know where they are on the hdd to delete], but when I went back to msfn I was still logged in. There were some threads at the firefox forum on cookies not deleting I saw when I had to figure out how to clear cookies on closing in 3.6.3 so maybe the cookies aren't being cleared. Hope I can find those threads again.

Today when I hit log in I went to the logged in page w/out putting in my un & pw. [i have firefox remember the pw to this site so I just have to push the log in button since it fills in the us & pw.] I got to the logged in page and then it went right back to the log in page, so I clicked login and went to the logged in page and then right back to the log in page. Did that a few times, then I clicked "Enter the forum" from the log-in page and I was logged in.

I deleted the saved pw and will see if that will get me logged out.

I don't know if you use flash cookies, but I checked betterprivacy and there was one from the weather channel and one only named "settings". I deleted both. Then I checked for exceptions and I have none. And I was still logged in when I came back to msfn.

Try installing Fiddler and getting a trace of the visit to MSFN (after clearing the cache) - since your login info is stored in a cookie, it'd be interesting to see what happens during the process of visiting the site if you're stuck logged in.

Today i used few hours for extensive testing of login/logout feature. Used IE8, Firefox 3 (Newest and without any script or addon), Opera 10 and newest Google Chrome. Everything worked fine. Tried every single browser several times. Not a single issue.

One can view cookies via the Privacy Tab under Tools > Options. I don't know if/how you can view cookies w/ Firefox not open, but I had way too many cookies listed for having just opened the browser, including msfn cookies. So I don't think Firefox is clearing them per my settings. So I cleared them and I had to login to msfn. I tried signing out and it didn't appear that I had so I used Tools > Clear Private Hx and tried again. I got the message I couldn't log out because I was already logged out, but the page changed from one w/ Sign Out under AnnieMS to one w/ the un & pw log in boxes. So I can't really figure out what is going on, but I think it's firefox and not msfn and it looks like I can now log out.

I'm going to check cookies when I first open firefox and check firefox support for info on cookies not clearing when set to clear on closing.

I looked at Fiddler. 1 GB RAM is "highly recommended" and I've only got 512 MB. Now that I can log out, is there any point in installing and using Fiddler?