RunOnceEx in Windows 7 x64

Hello all,

Most of the time I find the solutions by reading, the past few days however I was not so lucky.

Here's what happens:

I use autounattend.xml with 7 x64. Firstlogon command contains commands to import ROE entries.

At first logon Windows starts but the ROE entries are not executed.

I did a regedit and all entries have been added to the registry, so tried to execute it manually by opening elevated command prompt and typing

rundll32. exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

The command completes without error, but ROE does not start!

As it works perfectly on the 32 bits version, so it must be some change in the registry for 7 x64.

Can someone help me with the correct location of the reg entries? Or the command to start the process?

Entries are at:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

Thanks!

Hello all,

Most of the time I find the solutions by reading, the past few days however I was not so lucky.

Here's what happens:

I use autounattend.xml with 7 x64. Firstlogon command contains commands to import ROE entries.

At first logon Windows starts but the ROE entries are not executed.

I did a regedit and all entries have been added to the registry, so tried to execute it manually by opening elevated command prompt and typing

rundll32. exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

The command completes without error, but ROE does not start!

As it works perfectly on the 32 bits version, so it must be some change in the registry for 7 x64.

Can someone help me with the correct location of the reg entries? Or the command to start the process?

Entries are at:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

Thanks!

Hello

You can use RunOnceEx Method inside the SetupComplete.cmd (place inside: "sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts\")

You have Administrator rights with SetupComplete.cmd.

You need to create the folders $OEM$

Example:

REG ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
SET KEY=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%systemroot%\Setup\Scripts\active.vbs" /f

I hope that will help you!

Edited by myselfidem

Thanks for the fast reply myselfidem,

My file looks similar, and yes it does work upto the point that the reg entries are imported.

Problem is that it does not start when it has to, the system has to execute the ROE process at first logon, even before the desktop loads.

But it does not...The entries are in the registry but they don't ever run.

Weird thing is, 32 bit Windows 7 works fine (aarg!).

Thanks for any help on this.

Are you certain that the entries are not imported to the 32-bit registry?

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

Edited by 5eraph

Thanks for the fast reply myselfidem,

My file looks similar, and yes it does work upto the point that the reg entries are imported.

Problem is that it does not start when it has to, the system has to execute the ROE process at first logon, even before the desktop loads.

But it does not...The entries are in the registry but they don't ever run.

Weird thing is, 32 bit Windows 7 works fine (aarg!).

Thanks for any help on this.

I don't launch RunOnceEx Method with Firstlogon command inside Autounattend.xml and it's works fine!

Maybe you can try to separate the process.

I use Firstlogon command inside Autounattend.xml for others install applications.

I see that SetupComplete.cmd is launched at first and after Firstlogon command.

I hope that will help you.

SOLVED at last with the help of Myselfidem, and the winner is MaxXPsoft, message at this link

http://www.msfn.org/board/runonceex-registry-windows-vista-t137757-pid-881763.html/page__view__findpost__p__881763

There is one thing very different in Windows 7, it is the need to set "flags" on a reg key.

I did not have time enough to read about the change, it could have something to do with registry virtualization, anyway

setting this key solved the problem:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "RunOnceEx - Testing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY% /v Flags /t REG_DWORD /d "20" /f

Now ROE can run without problems. ROE does work in Windows 7 x86 and x64, but the setup has changed, now we have to use

"quotes" and flags while in Windows XP it was a lot easier. I really must say W7 is giving me a hard time.

My setup:

I do only network installs from a share. TFTP booting 210MB Multi7PE wim image (Winbuilder project)that does 32 bit and 64 bit setups.

All tools are on the share and run from there (partitioning, recovery, antivirus etc.)

Windows 7 with integrated lan drivers and updates on the share, autounattend.xml and the firstlogon.cmd as described

by maxXPsoft (slickest method IMO).

Firslogon.cmd integrated in the OS image is as simple as it gets, made it universal for al windows OS and only

- sets zonemap reg entries to kill annoying pop ups during unattended app install

- maps two network drives

- calls one universal ROE.cmd for all OS on the share.

The universal ROE.cmd checks the OS version running and only imports the (predefined) ROE entries for that OS,

it's easier for me to maintain one file only. The ROE process runs, installs all (silent) apps for that OS and exits.

Goal is minimum user input, maximum automation and the most complete up-to-date config at the end.

Finally, want to thank everyone here on MSFN, I may not post a lot but by reading your posts I learned a great deal.

Cheers,

Escorpiom.

Edited by Escorpiom

SOLVED at last with the help of Myselfidem, and the winner is MaxXPsoft, message at this link

http://www.msfn.org/board/runonceex-registry-windows-vista-t137757-pid-881763.html/page__view__findpost__p__881763

All tools are on the share and run from there (partitioning, recovery, antivirus etc.)

Windows 7 with integrated lan drivers and updates on the share, autounattend.xml and the firstlogon.cmd as described

by maxXPsoft (slickest method IMO).

Firslogon.cmd integrated in the OS image is as simple as it gets, made it universal for al windows OS and only

Cheers,

Escorpiom.

Thanks Escorpiom :thumbup

I try to find easiest methods because they are still there and work excellent. Why suffer with headaches?

Could actually have that firstlogon on a usb drive alongside your xml and then you can change either as needed.

• 10 months later...