Problems with Unattend.xml

Hi

Could anyone help me? Using SIM I've created my own answer file which sort of works but when installing windows it still asks to confirm the language(which i want to be able to skip, create a new local user (which I want to be able to skip), The computer name(which is fine as I want to be able to trype that in) But also it's not automatically joining the domain. Is there something missing from my code?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

- <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">

- <settings pass="windowsPE">

- <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

- <SetupUILanguage>

<UILanguage>en-UK</UILanguage>

</SetupUILanguage>

<InputLocale>en-UK</InputLocale>

<SystemLocale>en-UK</SystemLocale>

<UILanguage>en-UK</UILanguage>

<UserLocale>en-UK</UserLocale>

</component>

</settings>

- <settings pass="oobeSystem">

- <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

- <OOBE>

<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>

<NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>

<ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>

<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>

</OOBE>

+ <Themes>

<CustomDefaultThemeFile>c:\Haslers.theme</CustomDefaultThemeFile>

<DefaultThemesOff>false</DefaultThemesOff>

</Themes>

<TimeZone>GMT Standard Time</TimeZone>

</component>

</settings>

- <settings pass="specialize">

- <component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

- <Identification>

- <Credentials>

<Domain>Haslers</Domain>

<Password>**</Password>

<Username>Haslers\administrator</Username>

</Credentials>

<JoinDomain>Haslers.com</JoinDomain>

<UnsecureJoin>true</UnsecureJoin>

</Identification>

</component>

</settings>

<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:c:/vista_installation/install.wim#Windows Vista BUSINESS" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />

</unattend>

Your help would be much appreciated

Jason

Yes it does validate. XML file attached.

For starters, the ISO 3166 language code you need in UILanguage is en-GB, not en-UK (there is no en-UK, hence why it's asking you). Also, in the UnattendJoin section, the username should just be Administrator, not domain\Administrator. That's the reason there's a DOMAIN value - you don't need to add it twice (and shouldn't).

In all, there seems to be quite a bit missing here from what I would consider a "complete" answer file, although this will do what you've asked it to do if you change some of it as per above. Remember, WSIM validation validates that you've not added anything in the wrong pass, or have typos in your tags - it doesn't validate the contents of the tags for validity, just the layout.

Thanks for that. But how can I get setup to skip creating a new local user?

You don't necessarily need to skip creation of a user. I recommend you still add the LocalAccount, but then you can also specify AutoLogon afterwards to log into the PC as a different account than the one you created.

You don't necessarily need to skip creation of a user. I recommend you still add the LocalAccount, but then you can also specify AutoLogon afterwards to log into the PC as a different account than the one you created.

I have already created one on the reference PC I've captured.

I have already created one on the reference PC I've captured.

If you set your image up in Audit mode, you won't have to worry about having 2 users after sysprep, since the Administrator account becomes hidden.

Agreed - when you build your reference machine, press CTRL+SHIFT+F3 when OOBE starts to boot into Audit mode, and do all of your customization work there if you want to have an image without a second user.

No, I also need the computer to automatically join a domain (which it doesnt) so i wont have to create any user account because they will get created on log-in. Looking at my code can anyone see any reason for Windows not joining the domain and how can i skip the user creation step during setup?

No, I also need the computer to automatically join a domain (which it doesnt) so i wont have to create any user account because they will get created on log-in. Looking at my code can anyone see any reason for Windows not joining the domain and how can i skip the user creation step during setup?

As I noted, you don't need to (or probably shouldn't) skip user creation. After you install, you'll still need to have a local system account that COULD be logged into. But since you are using a domain, you set it up where your Unattend creates the local system account (using a name other than Administrator) and then you use the Domain account as the login. Look in the help file (or technet) for UserAccounts and AutoLogon containers of the Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup component.

• 1 month later...

Jason,

I believe we had the same problem with windows 7.

When installing our captured WIM (from reference computer with Dutch LP installed), during deploy, setup comes up with a language choice.

We had no other choice than English, although the Dutch LP was installed in the WIM, and so it deployed in English.

The solution was simple but unlogical:

When we import the captured WIM into MDT (Deployment Workbench) we need to do the following:

In MDT, Import an Operating System

1. Select: Custom Image File

2. Sourcefile: browse to your captured WIM

3. Select: Copy Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, or later setup files from the specified path

This is the step that made the difference!

4. Select your OS Source files (DVD files!)

The rest is self explenatory

This solved our language problem during deploy!

Good luck!