ERROR 0162: Configuration Error - Default Configuration used

hiroshiben

Hi.I'm new to this forum and i hope someone can help me with this problem that i encounted recently.

One of the computer in my office is having problem loading its windows xp OS~it keeps showing the ERROR 0162: Configuration Error - Default Configuration used in the black screen.And at the same time im only allowed to press f1 to go to the BIOS to set up or to resume..but after i have chosen to resume,the computer cannot load into the windows xp desktop at all~And it keeps showing the power saving mood.I hope somebody can help me to solve this problem.

Edited by hiroshiben

The "power saving mode" message is probably comming from the screen itself, meaning the PC doesn't send any video signal or that the signal is out of range. You probably do not have an XP problem but a hardware problem, motherboard or configuration. You should not choose "Resume" but F1 to go into BIOS and choose to set it to default (apparently the system has done it already?) and SAVE before exit. Then report how old is the PC and what is the last thing that appears on the screen if it still doesn't start. Good luck.

The "power saving mode" message is probably comming from the screen itself, meaning the PC doesn't send any video signal or that the signal is out of range. You probably do not have an XP problem but a hardware problem, motherboard or configuration. You should not choose "Resume" but F1 to go into BIOS and choose to set it to default (apparently the system has done it already?) and SAVE before exit. Then report how old is the PC and what is the last thing that appears on the screen if it still doesn't start. Good luck.

thanks for replying~i did pressed on F1 to go into the BIOS setup and set it to default and save and exit~but the same problem occured again which is showing the ERROR 0162 message and power saving mode~so it might be due to the hardware problem then?

Google for that error and you'll find a few answers (for old IBM PCs if this is your case). First I found were

-wrongly jumpered IDE drives.

-using PS2 mouse causing the error.

Has anything been changed (hardware) since last time it started alright ?

+Giving more info on your system would get you more people to answer.

Are there any other alternative methods to troubleshoot the PC other than checkin the hardwares's problems?since the PC is able to boot up just that its unable to gain access to the windows XP desktop page.Are there any other solutions for troubleshooting the BIOS setup other than the need to check the hardwares components inside the CPU?