Error when trying to install a program

morland

Am facing this problem on my machine running XP pro SP4 (32-bit). Never had this problem before. Tried installing a software and get the following error

The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the

Folder Options control panel

Did a search on Google and found a utility called xp_exe_fix. However the problem is still there. I am literally exhausted. Could this be due to any disabled service.

Any one? Any angel. Anyone taking a SOS call :(

P.S

What a day it's been. First the problem with my Windows 7 machine and now this.

First make sure file extensions are always shown (this simplifies the task

of recognizing file-types and spotting mallicious programs).

• Start Windows Explorer (WIN-btn + E)
  • Select the "Tools"->"Folder Options"-menu item
  • Select the "View"-tab in the dialog:
    ShowFileExt.png
  • Look in the "Advanced settings"-list for the entry called
    "Hide extensions for known file types" and UN-check it.
  • Press the OK-button to close the dialog again

You will now see the complete filenames including their extension.

What does the extension of the file say (the part after the last dot)?

Greetz,

Peter.

If it really is an .exe file, it would make sense that something has damaged or removed the exefile handler in the registry. I won't take credit for this (it originally was found on teh intarwebz years ago, and it's been maintained through at least WinXP by a few people), but save the code below in a text file, rename it as a .reg file, and execute it to import the data into your registry. I keep this in my recovery toolkit, because lots of malware tend to break the exefile handler in an attempt to keep anti-malware apps from being able to run. Primitive, yes, but effective for low-hanging fruit. Thankfully a simple reg import will fix it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
"TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion"
"InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PEAnalyser]
@="{09A63660-16F9-11d0-B1DF-004F56001CA7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
@="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page]
@="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

Thank you thank all. Amazing the amount of help I have received.

I gave up the idea and trying to diagnose the problem. However I did check the file extension/type.

Instead I think, and now that I am pretty upset, I will go and look for a better tool to optimize my machine. Preferably a safe freeware. Any tips from anyone in this regard?

Thanks

Remove any useless items from startup. That's about the only optimization that will make any noticeable difference. Start > Run > msconfig > startup tab

BTW: Let me point out that it doesn't have to be an executable (.exe) file; it could

easilly be a Microsoft Installer (*.msi) file and if that extension is not correctly

associated, it also won't work. :unsure:

That's why you first have to answer Tripredacus' question: "What is the exact

full filename?"

If executable (*.exe) files wouldn't be associated correctly, you wouldn't even be able

to start, for instance, your browser... :no:

Greetz,

Peter.

BTW: Let me point out that it doesn't have to be an executable (.exe) file; it could

easilly be a Microsoft Installer (*.msi) file and if that extension is not correctly

associated, it also won't work. :unsure:

That's why you first have to answer Tripredacus' question: "What is the exact

full filename?"

Yes it could be possible that the MSI file extension is registered to open MSIEXEC but maybe that program is missing or corrupted. In that same vein, it could be that a dependency is missing that the program needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it could be possible that the MSI file extension is registered to open MSIEXEC but maybe that program is missing or corrupted. In that same vein, it could be that a dependency is missing that the program needs.

Belated thank you. Would like to know how to fix registry associations/dependencies and bring them back to the default settings. Is there a recommended freeware or maybe a windows XP tip for that? Thanks

Belated thank you. Would like to know how to fix registry associations/dependencies and bring them back to the default settings. Is there a recommended freeware or maybe a windows XP tip for that? Thanks

Dependencies are not in the registry. When an EXE is created, some of the functions it does are actually done by other files on the system. These would be files that come with Windows, or from an add-on like the .NET Framework for example. If you think its a dependency problem, you can use Dependency Walker to look and see if everything is present on your system that EXE needs.

Guest heutenitaz

You should have to check the software which you want to install becuase whenever error is created there is only one reason for that why not to install properly.

If then also you have the same problem.. You can search the drivers for that which is running properly for that software.