OEM Windows 7 Home Basic x86 activation issues

unnamed

Hi. My younger sister recently (a month ago) got a sony netbook with Windows 7 Home Basic x86 preinstalled (she got it off a Sony autorized retailer). Today the windows 7 started showing the black background/"non genuine" notifications (the computer's hardware haven't been modified in any way and windows haven't been modified/reinstalled at all). Is there any reason for this? And how do I fix it?

Has a BIOS update been run on the computer? If you got this from a Sony Authorized Retailer, this would mean that you are still within the warranty period. You should go through their tech support so that you do not do something (like the things we may suggest or point you towards) that will void your warranty.

There was no BIOS update and I went through their tech support already (the computer was bought in USA, they told me the the warranty doesn't apply in foreign countries).

#1 Fact : Home Basic is not sold in the US. :whistle:

Did you try using the key from the COA sticker on the underside ? If that fails, your next step is to call the M$ activation hotline.

If there is no sticker underneath, I would have to call foul on the retailer.

Highly suspect that Home Basic was on a Sony laptop sold in the US - it would have been Windows 7 Starter, with an upgrade option to Home Premium, Pro, or Ultimate. As has been stated, Windows 7 Home Basic is not actually sold in the US at retail or from an OEM, only in emerging markets.

If you purchased this netbook from a US retailer (Sony or an actual Authorized Reseller), then you need to consider the notion that it is at least very likely that the copy of Windows 7 Home Basic installed on that netbook is *not* genuine, and/or was not installed by the OEM. A Windows 7 installation on an OEM system would have an SLIC license, in which activation is tied to the BIOS. Unless the BIOS was upgraded (and it would have to be a pretty major upgrade) or the motherboard itself was replaced, Windows on an SLIC system should not be displaying any activation errors. Again, since it's tied to the BIOS, and the BIOS did not change as you said, there's no way for this to fail and cause activation errors - however, the fact that it's been about a month since the purchase makes it more likely (since the grace period is 30 days from install to activation) that the installation is invalid and the reseller either inadvertently or knowingly sold an unlicensed copy of Windows 7.

At this point I would strongly suggest looking for the COA sticker that has a product key on it affixed to the bottom of the netbook (legally, that's where it should be if sold by an authorized OEM), and make sure that the product key is for Windows 7 Home Basic (given that this is not available from a US retailer or OEM I'm not sure how this is possible, but look anyway). I think what you're likely to find is that the OS install is not geniune (pirated), was not activated on install (again, Home Basic on a US machine is technically impossible), and is in need of replacement from the reseller or the actual OEM (that netbook *did* come with an OS at one point, and the COA should show you what version of Windows is supposed to be on that netbook).

If you find it to be non-geniune (and I'm guessing you will), it's also worth contacting Microsoft *and* Sony and reporting this authorized reseller as well, so this does not happen to someone else.

Checked the bottom of the netbook, and indeed there is a COA sticker, and it does say Windows 7 Home Basic (it's late night and my sister is at bed so I can't take a pic of the COA, will take it tomorrow if you agree and attach it here). Another strange thing I also remember. When she brought the computer home, I had her open the system properties dialog and it said (back then) that it was fully activated and genuine.

I don't need a pic, just make sure it has a product key on it. Assuming so, enter that key into the activation wizard (when prompted about activation, follow the wizard) and hopefully it'll work.