Unable To Connect Online With Fresh Install

Redhatcc

So i loaded a older computer at home (4-6 years old) with Server 2k8 to test some new software we are using at work, and after the installation i did not have the NIC driver which was i believe a Linksys LNE TX100 pci nic. So i found the driver on the website, couldnt find one for Server 2k8 or Win7 so i used i believe Vista, and the driver installed properly and seemed to work fine. I could connect to my lan at home find, ping all the computers connected to my router, but could not access anything else online such as Windows Updates, or ever browse to Google. It would just sit there, never time out, just never connect either. So i was wondering, i have the IP to auto assign, and the default gateway is set to my router. What else am i missing? Is this something crazy going on possibly with the nic and the driver i found online? Should i try and get a new cheap nic and install it or this software issues? It has been acting very strange..

I imagine you have already disabled the IE protection service? By default Server OS will not let you access the internet, however Windows Updates should work (outside of IE) and even so, IE will tell you that the protection is turned on if you try to go anywhere. This protection will also stop you from going to "internal pages" of hardware devices such as 3Ware or Routers.

Sorry for the late response.

I installed FireFox on the machine to bypass some possible IE restrictions and security features which once installed i could browse online. IE still would not browse online which is fine. Also, the updates would never work but i was able to do a few offline updates which works fine.