Help With Windows 7 And Drivers

bascally i have 3 computers at home that i want to have drivers automatically installed for and i dont want a bunch of drivers being installed on the wrong computer where it will just clogg it up.

i was thinking that i could some how make a script that would scan the CPU and based on which cpu was found it would install only the required drivers for that computer

obviously i dont want to have to juggle 3 different install dvds one for each computer

heres my script that i have so far its not really working very well so if someone can help or if someone else has other ideas...

first script: REG EXPORT HKLM\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0 C:/CPU.txt /y (this backs up the registry key that identifies the cpu)

second script here is where it starts going to hell : FOR %windir%CPU.txt IN (ProcessorNameString) IF "AMD Sempron Processor 3400+" DO GOTO SEMPRON ELSE GOTO LOOP

:SEMPRON

:TURION

:INTEL

:LOOP

FOR %windir%CPU.txt IN (ProcessorNameString) IF "Intel® Core i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz" DO GOTO INTEL ELSE GOTO LOOP2

:LOOP2

FOR %windir%CPU.txt IN (ProcessorNameString) IF "AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-75" DO GOTO TURION ELSE GOTO EXIT

:EXIT

exit

From what I can tell, any driver you inject into a Windows 7 install.wim only gets installed if the hardware that uses that driver are present. There is only one caveat, as DISM does not check to see if you have support for that device already, aka you can inject multiple versions of the same driver into an image. To test, what I do is install 7 on a PC, then take note of what devices are not installed, and if Standard VGA Controller or High Definition Audio device are present, and then put those drivers into the image. I use hardware IDs as my control so I do not put the same drivers in twice.

i get what your saying and im ujsed to using Hardware ID's also becasue of my dabbling in hackintosh and editing the plist and so forth

but the computers are all completely different the old one has ac 97 the new one uses hd audio and basically its a big mess driver wise but you say use dism not vlite or anyother in 7 tool just dism?

Both are correct - Win7 will only install drivers onto a system that are needed, either if you integrate them into the WIM or use a DriverPath and folder. It will treat drivers at either location just like it would any other inbox integrated driver - this is a change from Windows XP, where if you imaged a system with a driver installed it would be installed when you placed the image back on another machine in some instances.

i get what your saying and im ujsed to using Hardware ID's also becasue of my dabbling in hackintosh and editing the plist and so forth

but the computers are all completely different the old one has ac 97 the new one uses hd audio and basically its a big mess driver wise but you say use dism not vlite or anyother in 7 tool just dism?

Well what you use is totally up to you. I just use DISM and imagex for everything, but I can't use some of the other tools like vLite or such because I use this at a business. I just learned to do it with DISM and it is what I know best.