Fully unattended windows 7 installation

I am very happy for this thread! I was wondering if any of you could tell me what happens during Win 7 installation during TEXT MODE. Assuming that Win 7 has a text mode, and it is similar to Win XP, this is what I mean:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/13/

So I am mentioning this to remind people what TEXT MODE is, that it will be fresh in their memory. TEXT MODE is what happens before the first reboot during installation.

My question: Is it the same process, regardless of the type of hardware that windows is being installed to?

I wanted to try for myself, to see if this is all that happens during TEXT MODE: create a partition, create an MBR, create the partition's boot sector, and copy the files over. Then, when I reboot, Win 7 installation would continue from there?

edit: there is no text mode, but i'm hoping this works anyway

You are right in one point, really there are no text mode in windows 7 installation routine. But about hardware independent setup, the file setup.exe is totally dependent on halacpi.dll( checked through dependency walker), and whenever windows setup runs, it modifies the file according to machines hardware configuration.

And about what is happening during setup, I planned to post the procedure in the 2nd part of my guide, but for ONLY your case you can run procmon (a freeware process monitoring utility) during setup. Just copy the file to boot.wim, index no.1 %mountlocation%\windows\system32\procmon.exe. You can then run it from startnet.cmd (executed before setup.exe executes). Just add this line to it:

procmon.exe

then you can monitor processes running during setup.

Note that the setup environment (windows 7 setup OR WinPE) x64 machines, is totally different from x86 machines.

But the tricky one, you could point it. Yes, if you made the partition bootable using windows 7 x86 media then if you add it to a x86 machine, installation should must go (no matter the partition or disk is prepared in a x86 or a x64 bit machine), and for the x86 media this is all the same.

Thats just the end, I'll be happy if you inform me that if I can help you or not.

Hello

I used your tweaks, I'm sorry I did not know they had tweaks for x32 and x64, I just learned something new for me, anyway not installed in the case of x64,however the tweaks were set using an image that was not created using sysprep, The folders Bt and LS are not found in windows, but the scripts folder still there :hello: . Could you give me some idea where can be the error. Am going to create another image again and I'll post my results back here.

Let me a question, is there to select the generalize checkbox? becasuse i dont select it.

Thanks

Yesnovato

Hello Computerguru

The same problem, now i test with my x64 tweaks, it doesn't work and I get the $windows-bt and $windows-ls at C:\ i dont know what is the problem, I follow the tutotial. Please could you help me. Thank in advance

@ Yesnovato, you MUST check the generalize checkbox, otherwise your installation traces, and the $windows-bt and $windows-ls at C:\ won't be removed. Make it right and let me no if it works.

for tweaks, just use a registry file instead of tweaks.reg, which previously worked with your x64 machine, it will helpful to determine which part isn't working, tweaks.reg or RunOnce.

32 Bit machine means x86 machines.

Post your result soon.

Hey computerguru

After making my image and using sysprep with the generalise option I've put it into the ISO using your instructions. Then when I try to install the image I get this error

screenshothqz.png

Rather odd. Any ideas?

Thanks CalBoy

Hey computerguru

After making my image and using sysprep with the generalise option I've put it into the ISO using your instructions. Then when I try to install the image I get this error

screenshothqz.png

Rather odd. Any ideas?

Thanks CalBoy

Would you mind posting how you make the image (via winPE or from desktop using WAIK), also provide your imagex command. There may be another possibility, from the image you provided it seems to me that D:\ is your DVD drive (make me sure, was I right or wrong), your DVD may be corrupted.

As windows setup displays this type of error message when-

1. The install.wim file can't be found in %installationmedia%\sources location (make right if you name your image file install.wim, recheck it).

2. Your install.wim file is corrupted (to check whether it is corrupted or not, just run setup from your desktop, untill you get the product license page, if it appears, your image is ok).

3. Your installation media is corrupted (to check it copy the contents of your DVD to any temporary location, if the copy process is successful then delete the copied contents from the temp location).

But from the image you posted, I assume you wasn't get the product license page (even you might not get the install options page), so case 1. is the most possibility.

Check it and post here if your problem is solved or not very soon.

I've used different variations of your imagex command. None of the variations I try are working. I can ran the setup from my computer, and I have recreated the image many times with no change. Is there a limit to the .wim size? I didn't think there was but using windows setup might mean something different. My .wim is the correct place, I've checked plenty of times.

Please help!!

Thanks Calboy.

Ok, here are my results

1)No $windows-Bt and $Windows-LS (Computerguru could you in the point 15 add "select the generalize checkbox")

2)All pre-instaled applications and tweaks are OK

3)HKCU tweaks no working

4)Removed SCRIPTS folder in windows

Thank you for your work and your time, I'm going to try using registers instead of tweasks, I'll post back my results. Could you tell me where are the images that appear in the phase of completing the installation, to change it, because the images which I had changed are lost, I believe that the generalize checkbox put the default images and not my images, could u help me.

Thanks

yesnovato

I've used different variations of your imagex command. None of the variations I try are working. I can ran the setup from my computer, and I have recreated the image many times with no change. Is there a limit to the .wim size? I didn't think there was but using windows setup might mean something different. My .wim is the correct place, I've checked plenty of times.

Please help!!

Thanks Calboy.

From what I've see in ur attachment I can assuming u're :

1. Using Gimagex to capture ur windows installation, use imagex (non GUI) from WAIK, it's been an issue that gimagex is having trouble in xml specification (such as servicing stack etc).

2. If u're using imagex, u've mistakenly set the flags of the image, for an example ULTIMATE, the command should be:

"imagex /compress maximum /flags ULTIMATE /capture z: d:\install.wim "Your Image Name" "Your Image Description" /check /verify" or

"imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture z: d:\install.wim "Your Image Name" "Your Image Description" /check /verify"

Note : "/check" n "/verify" it's usefull for wim integrity checking.

3. If ur install.wim is bigger than 4 GB, use UDF for the DVD image.

Edited by ar_seven_am

Please help!!

Thanks Calboy.

1. Using Gimagex to capture ur windows installation, use imagex (non GUI) from WAIK, it's been an issue that gimagex is having trouble in xml specification (such as servicing stack etc).

2. If u're using imagex, u've mistakenly set the flags of the image, for an example ULTIMATE, the command should be:

"imagex /compress maximum /flags ULTIMATE /capture z: d:\install.wim "Your Image Name" "Your Image Description" /check /verify" or

"imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture z: d:\install.wim "Your Image Name" "Your Image Description" /check /verify"

I've been using the imagex from the WAIK. I never use GImageX, only when I'm mounting to do a quick change. I've used ImageX plenty of times and I know the commands and I've checked my commands over and over so it cant't be that. It must be the UDF setting. I'll change it and see~! Whats the different command on oscdimg? Thanks for your help!!

Thanks CalBoy

Please help!!

Thanks Calboy.

Hello ar_seven_am

when u talk to the DVD image ur referring to the ISO file that is made using oscdimg.exe. Could you explain to me that means UDF or tell me where can I read about UDF, I'm sorry my ignorance.

Thank you in advance

Please help!!

Thanks Calboy.

Hello ar_seven_am

when u talk to the DVD image ur referring to the ISO file that is made using oscdimg.exe. Could you explain to me that means UDF or tell me where can I read about UDF, I'm sorry my ignorance.

Thank you in advance

Universal Disk Format UDF

oscdimg.exe command line options Oscdimg Command-Line Options

Hello urie, thank you for reply, let me ask you a question, I'm using this command

oscdimg -u2 -m -o -b"%programfiles%\windows aik\tools\petools\amd64\boot\etfsboot.com" \W7 \w7iso\w7x64.iso

Is it correct?

Thanks in advance

Hello Computerguru. This is my results

W7x86

a)selected generalize checkbox

b)No $w-bt n $w-ls

c)Preinstalled App. & Tweaks, "OK"

d)Updates integrated using WAIK, "ok"

e)Drivers integrated using WAIK, "no working"

f)HKCU now are not installed

W7x64

a)selected generalize checkbox

b)No $w-bt n $w-ls

c)Preinstalled App. & Tweaks, "OK"

d)Updates integrated using WAIK, "ok"

e)Drivers integrated using WAIK, "no working"

f)HKCU now are not installed

What do you think

Note I puted a HKCU reg using firstlogoncommand in my Autounattend n working fine

Edited by Yesnovato

Hello Computerguru

I had been testing and all HKCU reg are in HKEY_USERS_.DEFAULT. Do you have some idea?

Someone here has the same problem.

Computerguru can you check the attached files to see if they are well

setupcomplete.cmd, clean.cmd n tweak.reg are $OEM$\$$\SETUP\SCRIPTS

I hope his usual aid

Thanks

Autounattend.xml

SetupComplete.cmd

clean.cmd

Tweak1.reg

Hello Computerguru

I had been testing and all HKCU reg are in HKEY_USERS_.DEFAULT. Do you have some idea?

Someone here has the same problem.

Computerguru can you check the attached files to see if they are well

setupcomplete.cmd, clean.cmd n tweak.reg are $OEM$\$$\SETUP\SCRIPTS

I hope his usual aid

Thanks

Thanks a lot Yesnovato for testing & posting your results.

But YOU TOTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD MY POST ABOUT HKCU REG ENTRIES. You called your tweaks1.reg to be merged via setupcomplete.cmd, which included HKCU entries. You was totally wrong, you have to call it to be merged via RunOnce (which you know as FirstLogonCommands) not from setupcomplete.cmd. Setupcomplete.cmd just puts a runonce (firstlogoncommand) entry to merge it which may be :

regedit /s "%systemroot%\setup\scripts\tweak2.reg"

put this line into your setupcomplete.cmd, and then create a .reg file with the entries below;

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
"Final"="regedit /s C:\\Windows\\setup\\scripts\\tweak1.reg"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
"Final2"="rd /s /q C:\\Windows\\setup\\scripts"

save the file as tweak2.reg, put it in your scripts folder. Remember if you follow this method, you don't need clean.cmd. If you like to use clean.cmd run it from firstlogoncommands via autounattend.xml NOT FROM setupcomplete.cmd.

But I am happy as you have already done this (merging HKCU registry entries) via autounattend.xml via firstlogoncommands, note that firstlogoncommands refers to RunOnce.

For drivers, if windows 7 inbox drivers are updated than your integrated drivers, they wont be installed. Also you should use winintegrator instead of waik for driver integration as I have tested and found it much more efficient.

Also in your clean.cmd, you used %system% which is wrong, it should be %systemroot%.

Thanks, PLZ REPLY IF YOU UNDERSTAND OR NOT. I'll start posting the second part of my guide after some hours today.

Edited by computerguru

:thumbup Oh my God, you are a genius my friend. The HKCU, all were installed correctly, I have to check to see because the Scripts folder was not deleted.

I'll try winintegrator to see if my drivers working, ah I check my integrated drivers and they all say "inbox: No", actually I do not know the meaning.

You say I can use clean.cmd with firstlogoncommand, but my fear with that method is to delete the script folder before setcompete.cmd running and thus not install the Regs., Maybe I have to give some order, in that case what order value I would give it

Thanks for your help. I'm waiting for his new post

Note: Could you check the attachs, and tell me if they are ok

Thanks in advance

SetupComplete.cmd

tweak2.reg