OEM folder doesn't copy

Zaitzev

So, I've tried to make an unattended iso for testing purposes in VMWare, until I get it right and can burn a disc with a functioning Unattended XP. After creating 5-6 iso's in slightly different manners, I feel like giving it up.

I have read every page and followed the unattended guide, down to the letter, and yet it never works like I want it to!

First of all, the $OEM$ Distribution Folders stuff, is it supposed to automatically copy its content onto the harddrive when you logon for the first time? Because that doesn't happen no matter what I try. I have the hierarchy correct (according to the guide), yet it does not get copied to begin the installation. Am I missing a vital step here?

Also, in WINNT.SIF I have set it to have a resolution of 1440 by 900, but that never happens either, the resolution on logon is 800 by 600. So that has to be manually set.

There are a couple of other minor annoyances, but those aren't as vital as getting the installation of applications up and running. I could of course try the other methods mentioned, but this one seemed relatively easy since it utilizes batch scripting, which I am quite familiar with. I made a rather advanced batchfile for this purpose too.. what a waste :(

By the way. The OS is Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 integrated. Could THIS be the reason it's not working? I can't understand why, but if it is, I would love to know..

Another thing; Prior to generating the setup using nLite, all the unattended installs failed somewhat (I had to input the product key manually). I also used the nLite setup to slim down the content of the iso.

Content of the latest WINNT.SIF (Generated using nLite):

; Generated by nLite 1.4.9.1

[Data]
AutomaticUpdates="Yes"
Autopartition=0
FloppyLess=1
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
OemPreinstall="No"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
Hibernation="No"

[Display]
Xresolution=1440
Yresolution=900
BitsPerPel=32

[SystemRestore]

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
AutoLogon="Yes"
AdminPassword=*
TimeZone=110
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1

[Shell]
DefaultThemesOff="Yes"
DefaultStartPanelOff="Yes"

[Components]
Iis_common=Off
Iis_ftp=Off
Iis_inetmgr=Off
Iis_internetdataconnector=Off
Iis_nntp=Off
Iis_serversideincludes=Off
Iis_smtp=Off
Iis_webadmin=Off
Iis_webdav=Off
Iis_www=Off
Iis_www_vdir_scripts=Off
Iis_asp=Off

[UserData]
ProductKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"
ComputerName=Comp1
FullName="Zaitzev"
OrgName="Privat"

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
SystemLocale="0414"
UserLocale="0414"
UserLocale_DefaultUser="0414"
InputLocale="0414:00000414"
InputLocale_DefaultUser="0414:00000414"

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

[WindowsFirewall]
Profiles=WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
Mode=0

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup="FILESERV"

[GuiRunOnce]
%systemdrive%\install\start.cmd

Thanks in advance for any help I might get! :)

You can't expect to have such a high resolution at first logon without installing a graphics driver first. So if you are already using nLite for Unattended purposes, why not integrate drivers as well?

As for the $OEM$ folder, do you have $1 inside? The matter of fact is that they are copied the moment you tell windows where to install, during text mode.

You can't expect to have such a high resolution at first logon without installing a graphics driver first. So if you are already using nLite for Unattended purposes, why not integrate drivers as well?

As for the $OEM$ folder, do you have $1 inside? The matter of fact is that they are copied the moment you tell windows where to install, during text mode.

Yes, I have $1 (and its subfolders) inside $OEM$ - However, for some reason it is working now. I did some minor changes to winnt.sif, which apparently shouldn't be related (Set it to Autopartition=1 etc), but heck..

Also, the 1440x900 resolution does not require any drivers to be installed, as it can be set manually after logon without installing any 3rd party driver.

having the oem preinstall at no wont copy the $oem$ folder over nor will it look at it. It HAS to be yes.

Move forward a step..

did you write your own WINNT.sif file then use nlite?? If so the nlite one takes priorty.

If you just used the Nlite one did you fill out EVERY detail for full unattended?? if you left say the user name blank (or forgot to uncheck the @must have a password@ box then it kicks the options back to the user for input

Try using HIDE PAGES instead.

From there

By just putting an EXE in the $OEM$ folder WONT run it it just copies it to the HDD during install (the blue screen yellow bar prior to your winntbbu.DL_ file kicking)

you will need to run the exe files after install ethier BEFORE login use something like WPI or after login using runonce.

Good luck with the runonce commands though. the description in the unattended section IS NOT CLEAR

for a clearer understanding of the commands take a look at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms...bedded.10).aspx

having the oem preinstall at no wont copy the $oem$ folder over nor will it look at it. It HAS to be yes.

Move forward a step..

did you write your own WINNT.sif file then use nlite?? If so the nlite one takes priorty.

If you just used the Nlite one did you fill out EVERY detail for full unattended?? if you left say the user name blank (or forgot to uncheck the @must have a password@ box then it kicks the options back to the user for input

Try using HIDE PAGES instead.

From there

By just putting an EXE in the $OEM$ folder WONT run it it just copies it to the HDD during install (the blue screen yellow bar prior to your winntbbu.DL_ file kicking)

you will need to run the exe files after install ethier BEFORE login use something like WPI or after login using runonce.

Good luck with the runonce commands though. the description in the unattended section IS NOT CLEAR

for a clearer understanding of the commands take a look at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms...bedded.10).aspx

I didn't manually write the entire winnt.sif. At first I used the deployment tools provided by Microsoft and generated the file, which failed miserably. After that, I followed the example file provided at the unattended guide, which got it somewhat working, except I had to manually enter the product key. Then I tried nLite, which made the installation process work all the way up to logon.

During nLite configuration I followed each step carefully to avoid any blanks or wrongful configuration. As you say, the OEMPreinstall thing has to be Yes (which it is at this point), but I tried both Yes and No earlier with no difference.

The main reason I am using the OEM Dist folders is because of the batch file procedure. The batchfile is made to detect the architecture and install either x64 or x86 apps. I am using it on a USB thumb drive as well to do a "instant auto-install" without any inputs, on any other system. If these methods can be used to achieve the same result, using the other installation procedures, that is something I will have to figure out.

I have learned a lot the past day (I started doing this stuff yesterday), so I guess my next step is to try the other installation methods! :)

Up until yesterday I didn't even know about MSFN, but I can see how large the community is, and the quick response and helpful members makes this worthy of my bookmarks :P

I'll be a frequent user here, that's for sure! :)

Z

I recently tried deploing stuff with $OEM$ folders and I noticed that with my Windows XP, to work, the $OEM$ folder has to be under i386, not aside it. I think I found even some Microsoft docs that stipulates the same thing. Try that as well before you give it up.

I recently tried deploing stuff with $OEM$ folders and I noticed that with my Windows XP, to work, the $OEM$ folder has to be under i386, not aside it. I think I found even some Microsoft docs that stipulates the same thing. Try that as well before you give it up.

Never heard of that before, got a link for this, Doc

Never heard of that before, got a link for this, Doc

Sure...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816299

Here you go.

I know, it is for Windows Server 2003, but for me, it worked like that for XP.

Edited by mcbatranu

I personally worked only with distribution shares, over the network. I presumed it is the same process for CD deployment. For me, nothing worked from the unatended guides until I changed the location of the OEM folder. It was frustrating up to one point. So... my mistake.

As for now, everything seems to be working for me, except the screen resolution. It doesn't change from 800x600 no matter what I choose. I have to manually set it when I logon. Since winnt.sif has the option of entering X and Y resolution, I assume it should work.

Currently I'm in the process of downloading all the hotfixes to implement them in the iso, along with my list of custom apps. I'm going to take a good look at the RunOnce and the other stuff, because I want to create a well-oiled XP distro :) Maybe even have it working on a bootable USB thumb drive (which I have yet to accomplish..)

I'm also thinking about making an Unattended Windows 7 iso as well, is it just as "simple" as with XP? I got a sneak peak into the W7 UA forum, and it does seem a bit harder..at first glance anyway. :)

• 1 year later...

I am having the same issue I386/$OEM/$1 and sub folders wont copy over. plus my answer file doesnt process some of the componets in it. mostly during the gui setup. Heres a copy someone please help

[data]

floppyless = "1"

msdosinitiated = "1"

OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

OriTyp = "4"

LocalSourceOnCD = 1

[setupData]

OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"

SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[unattended]

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemPreinstall=Yes

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

ExtendOEMPartition = 0

TargetPath = \WINDOWS

OemSkipEula = yes

InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

LegacyNIC = 1

OemPnpDriverPath = drivers\nic

[userData]

ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Fullname= "User"

Orgname="Company"

ComputerName=Test

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*****

EncryptedAdminPassword=no

OemSkipWelcome = 1

OemSkipRegional = 1

TimeZone =20

AutoLogin=yes

AutoLoginCount=1

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

AutoConfirm=1

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[NetServices]

MS_Server=params.MS_PSched

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=44

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=361

[RegionalSettings]

Language=00000809

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=00000809

UserLocale=00000809

InputLocale=0809:00000809

UserLocale_DefaultUser=00000809

InputLocale_DefaultUser=0809:00000809

[identification]

JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%

DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition = yes

UseWholeDisk = Yes

[OSChooser]

Description ="XP Base Install - Workstation (Auto Partiton)"

Help ="Automatically installs Microsoft Windows XP Professional without prompting the user for input."

LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"

ImageType =Flat

Version="5.1 (2600)"

[Components]

msmsgs=off

msnexplr=off

zonegames=off

[iEPopupBlocker]

BlockPopups=No

[WindowsFirewall]

Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]