Some easy nLite Q's

xmf

1) Can nLite Remove the Media Center from XP MCE leaving XP Pro only?

2) If so, I will be using a Dell OEM CD and I'd like to avoid installing any of the included Dell bloat. Would it be wise to disable the "OEM Preinstall" option? My configuration is a simple Dell laptop with one hard drive.

3) Regarding user accounts. I am the only one using my computer and I do not ever want to be prompted for a password. How should I go about setting this up?

Edited by xmf

xmf, I don't have a complete answer for you and no MCE CD to test. You get many hits on this subject here and via Google. Please do some searching. nLite may well have a Media Center removal item. I suggest you run nLite against your CD and look at the Remove Components Task and see if Media Center is there. Looking at Translation.txt in the nLite Lang folder leads me to think it is there. Some of the links I looked at indicated you will have something a little less than XP when you get done removing Media Center. One said you end up with a more capable XP Home that cannot join a domain. Others disagreed. I suggest, if you find that nLite will remove Media Center, that you the build an ISO and run it on a virtual system (VMware Server, VirtualPC and VIrtualBox are free) and see what you have left. Item 3 can be handled with the Unattended Task-Users tab. You can create an Account and assign a blank PW. Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.