Question about sound in internet explorer

anthonyaudi

Hey guys its been a while since I posted here mostly reading! (Which means that my network is working properly!)

I have a little bit of a problem (may be something stupid or something advanced I really don`t know)

I haven`t really troubleshot the problem yet as I haven`t had a lot of time but I don`t want to waste too much time on this.

I have a domain user who as soon as he opens internet explorer he has no sound on anything that is internet explorer related. He has no click noises anymore or any sound when he presses enter or any sound that would come out of browsing. To further this (and make sure I`m still sane and not just losing my hearing) I tried Youtube and he sees the video but gets no sound.

Now if I were to put him as local administrator everything works, all his sounds work everything works fine.

Obviously this is a rights related question but I`m trying to figure out what has changed or what can be the cause of this? What can I do to keep him a domain user but allow him to have sound while browsing. This is the only user that has this problem and I don`t want to waste too much time on it.

Anyone have any ideas at all what it could be why from one day to the next the user just looses his rights to hear sound on internet explorer??

(I haven` t tried to right click in the youtube box to get to the flash settings to see if allow sound is on deny) I also have not tried Firefox.

I also have no more rights in the sound options in control panel to listen to default windows sounds..or change the type of speakers that the laptop has.

(I changed them to laptop speakers in administrator mode but I still have no sound)

Win XP Professional client machines

Win server 2003 and 2008 as servers.

AD is installed on all the servers so it is available in server 2003 and 2008.

Edited by anthonyaudi

Does it happen when he logs into a different machine, or only on this box.

When logged under his account, try and double click the navigation sound directly. Does it error out, or play the sound ?

C:\Windows\Media\Windows Navigation Start.wav

I havent checked on any other machine because I don't see this particular user very often however all the sounds on the pc work. It just when he is in the domain user group that his internet sound is off.

He can play a dvd from media player and it works fine.

Check the Sound Control Panel. Look at the scheme and see if the IE sounds are there. You can tell because it will have a speaker next to it. Look for Start Navigation, which should play the sound Mr Jinje posted.

Edit: also look to see what Group Policies are enabled.

Does the same thing occur when a different user (non-local-admin) log into that particular machine, or is it affecting his account only. Your probably only gonna get guesses if you cannot report back any testing.

ok so i tried to log on as a different user (domain user) and he has the same issue. It`s still a no go with sound.

I tried firefox

same issue

I installed latest version of flash

same issue

I gave the user full rights to

Windows folder

internet explorer folder

media folder

macromedia folder (in system32)

still no go

as soon as i give him administrative right though he has all sounds.

I`m stumped.

(quick note im a domain admin and when i log on everything works however domain admins have administrators as part of the people in their group so i believe everything will work with my account no matter what machine i log on to)

Edited by anthonyaudi