Need some unattend help

Mostly because you need to delete those sections from inside your unattend.xml or simply do not use an unattend.xml

The entire point of being "unattended" is to not require a person to be at the computer "attending" to pop-up windows.

Simple answer is delete your unattend.xml and run a normal install, or attach, (do not paste) your XML, and maybe someone can tell you which sections to delete. (probably the entire OOBE section)

Thanks so much for your response. I understand what you are saying about not wanting people being at the computer, but in this case, I do need it. It would be something if just removing the xml file would accomplish everything I needed. I'm attaching my autounattend so you can see what it's like. I have the "Display" section everywhere because the only time it seems to work is on the final completion part of setup.

here it is...

Autounattend_.xml

As I said before, I really appreciate any help.

edit: I have a section in the oobe pass that tries to set the network value to "Home" but as I'm sure you know, it doesn't work.

Edited by crabdance

Maybe you should tell me which things you need that are not working. Username/Password and Timezone are not configured in the XML (as they should not be), so you should be getting prompted during installation already. Tell me if this is not the case. For now I'll assume those two are already working correctly and try to help fix the other two that are actual problems.

#4 is configured in your XML. Delete this entire line to re-enable the Network Location prompt.

<NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>

I think #1 is configured here, delete this part and it should go back to asking what language you want during the install.

<InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>

<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>

<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>

<UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>

<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>

Maybe you should tell me which things you need that are not working. Username/Password and Timezone are not configured in the XML (as they should not be), so you should be getting prompted during installation already. Tell me if this is not the case. For now I'll assume those two are already working correctly and try to help fix the other two that are actual problems.

#4 is configured in your XML. Delete this entire line to re-enable the Network Location prompt.

I think #1 is configured here, delete this part and it should go back to asking what language you want during the install.

<InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>

<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>

<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>

<UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>

<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>

I am NOT getting prompted for username and password or Timezone either. The network location section is not supposed to work (MS bug) but it may have some effect so I will remove it. Where language is concerned, I'm not talking about the language of the install, but the language and keyboard settings the end user selects before the dialog box to create their username and password comes up.

Hope this helps narrow it down.

Edit: I just made an ISO without an autounattend and just now loaded it into VM. I will see how it does without a xml all together.

Edited by crabdance

Can we set aside your current W7 setup, and re-copy your W7 DVD (clean install) so we can try this with a fresh Install.wim.

Then we should be able to use the XML (after making changes #1 and #4) and see if that new wim doesn't fix problems #2 and #3.

My guess is something ran DISM /TIME-ZONE and force installed your Time Zone preventing the pop-up. Fresh copy of Install.WIM should resolve these kind of issues.

Ok sure. I will use a clean Install.wim and make the suggested changes. I will get back to you as soon as I have done a test.

thanks.

edit: I did try the install without an autounattend and it worked just like it does when it has an autounattend??? Can't figure that one out!

Edited by crabdance

edit: I did try the install without an autounattend and it worked just like it does when it has an autounattend??? Can't figure that one out!

If you removed the autounattend and used a clean install.wim, then likely you do not have an untouched source.

Who sold you the DVD, or is this one of those bit-torrent specials ???

Ok... I tried the plain install and the only that came up is the one thing I DON"T want to come up. The Network dialog box/window. I'm going to try again with a modified autounattend and see what happens. I will attach the file, run another test, then get back with you.

Autounattend.xml

I have another question I would like to ask. Where does the "Display" section go in the autounattend? I have it "splattered" in every section but it doesn't seem to work. The only time it "seems" to work is on the last pass, but it does that without an autounattend.

I need the dialog boxes to come up that allow the end user to:

4. select network settings

This lead me to believe you wanted to be prompted.
Ok... I tried the plain install and the only that came up is the one thing I DON"T want to come up. The Network dialog box/window.
Now I'm confused, why would we remove that setting if you DON"T want it to come up. Edited by MrJinje

I'm sorry. I did not mean to cause confusion. The reason that I said what I did about the Network dialog box coming up is that it comes up after the desktop comes up and I'm really looking for these things to come up during the oobe pass, before the desktop comes up. That way the desktop will come up immediately after these dialog boxes. If you have ever installed Win7 on your machine by double clicking setup.exe in the root directory, it does exactly what I want it to do. Following the SetupComplete.cmd file, all the dialog boxes come up that I want, and when you are through with those, the desktop comes up.

The reason that I don't want the network dialog box to come up with the desktop is that I have an install program that I wrote with InstallShield that installs all the third party software onto the system. I only load a few items with the SetupComplete.cmd file. It is mostly for REG tweaks.

Once again, sorry for the confusion.

ok... sorry this is taking a bit. I have a 6 year old computer 2 gig of ram. And installing Win7 with VMWare is SLOW! Well, I did another install and things were the same, but I realized that I forgot to take out "network location" from the autounattend (causing myself more work). So I'm doing another install. Will attach the new autoattend which does not have "Display" splattered everywhere. Thanks to Tripredacus.

Autounattend.xml

I just now saw your earlier post. When I left out the autounattend, I was using my HIGHLY modified version. I will try it with the plain vanilla MS one and let you know how that goes.

That will be a good test.

Edited by crabdance