Reduce number of HFSLP *. INF files and registry edits

dziubek

Hi,

I would like to use this feature (Reduce number of HFSLP *. INF files and registry edits).

Does the latest version of HFSLIP fully supports this feature?

As I understand it, all files I put in the HFSLIP/REG folder except those:?

WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

WMP9/10/11 installers

IE7/8 installers

directx_aug2009_redist.exe

msxml4-KB973685-enu.exe

WindowsRightsManagementServicesSP2-KB917275-Client

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia.* files

WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe

WindowsXP-KB914440-v12- (Network Diagnostic Tool)

WindowsXP-KB969084 (RDC 6/7)

WindowsXP-KB932716-v2 (Image Mastering API (IMAPI) 2.0)

SmartCard_XP_x86.exe)

Is there something I overlooked?

I have never used this feature and this feature should still work. Tomcat added this a while back for some unknown reason. I was uncertain how to use it then, and I didn't really see the point of the whole thing. A few extra files didn't bug me. The files get deleted in the end of installation anyway. No harddrive space is used in the windows\inf folder.

I suppose the best way to tread the waters is to review each and every hfslp###.inf file. If you see nothing of importance there, you can put it in noreg. There are many hotfixes that just need one entry in the registry that keeps WU happy. There are minimal hotfixes that add lots of info into the registry, and those should remain in the hf folder.

To be honest, then this is the only part of hfslip that i have always wished could be done different, as i e.g. have 81 extra inf files in my i386 folder(only for updates and not counting the dx9 infs), and i only include high-priority updates and no optional or request-only ones. I know it's just a little under 4 megs, but it's just not as clean as i wished it could be...

Please note that i know that it cannot be done differently with cmd syntax and without 3'rd party cmd tools, and just the fact that you made the whole thing automated is just brilliant IMHO

:)

Please don't think that this is a critique of your work in any way!

CU, Martin.