LAN connection not working

extradesk

I purchased a refurbished Dell laptop. For the Wireless Network Connection it has-- Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection.---- For LAN it has Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller.--- It connects sporadically with the wireless....(I suspect it must be getting signal from my neighbor)....I don't particularly want to use wireless at home. I tried to connect it to my Verizon DSL cable which I have for my desktop (which I disconnected) and it shows it's plugged in, but doesn't connect to internet. I have a Westell 6100 DSL modem. What can I do to connect the laptop? It is Windows XP.

I tried to connect it to my Verizon DSL cable which I have for my desktop (which I disconnected) and it shows it's plugged in, but doesn't connect to internet.

Either you must configure (on the Dell's network card's TCP/IP settings) a static IP that's in the range of the one your modem gives or you need your laptop to be on DHCP (receiving an IP from the router).

The problem is probably you now have a static IP that is not in the range of the router, so there is no traffic between them two even if the cable is plugged in.

Check the network settings on your desktop to get an idea of the range you need (if ou still go for static).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your response. I tried many things and nothing worked. The 'Properties' are different on the laptop connection from the desktop. The laptop was a corporation pc so I unchecked several things (I don't know what all) and guess what....it works!! I really feel dumb! (but happy)

Thanks again