How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

Does it also happen without the Avm USB WLAN Device? btw, you can delete the link now

Thanks for checking the file!

Yes, I just uninstalled the WLAN device and restarted but it's still the same.

Bwt it's using an old driver from 2006 but when I update it to the recent driver it says the update went fine but in the device manager it still shows the old driver.

I'm going to use a cable connection soon again anyways but it doesn't seem to be related to the problem.

Hi Andre,

Thank you for the detail tutorial.

I have similar problem with the interrupts - at random time it goes over 20% of CPU usage, usually after waking laptop from the sleep (dell studio 1535, win 7 64bit). After that computer loose networking completely (wlan and lan). I tried with the latest available drivers but no change.

Now, I go through your tutorial but I get this "Unknown" thing that spikes my CPU. I'll appreciate if you can take a look at trace table, maybe you'll have more luck - link is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xnm20nurevh79lv

Thanks a lot.

-m

@hmirza11

from the trace I can't see the causing driver (<UNKNOWN>).

The only thing you can do is to create complete dump:

when you have the high DPC usage again and ask cluberti to look at it.

Hi Andre,

Thank you for checking the file. Will try memory dump.

@ Andre

Thank you VERY much for this problem solving protocol. It seems to have solved an intermittent 100% CPU usage when I was running minimal programs. I had very high USBPort.sys DPC Actual duration values. Too soon to see if it's truly fixed but I'm optimistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, great topic. Since yesterday I'm having the same problem, after all day of headaches and reading forums, I finally solved it. I made everything like you said it in the tutorial and discovered that the problem was from ACPI.sys, but it wasn't neither the BIOS, nor the Chipset... Actually it was very simple, the battery of my laptop fu**ed up, it was draining faster than it was charging, I removed the battery and left it to work only on charger, problem solved...

For those who have driver problems I recomend Driver Genius Professional Edition, this program finds drivers out of date and updates them, since at first I did not knew that the problem was from the battery I tried every stupid driver updating program and this was the best one...

Edited by abaddon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I followed Andre's helpful diagnostic steps and found that "storport.sys" is eating 31.42% of my CPU & causing frequent deadlocks. I haven't had any luck on figuring out how to correct this. All I've found is that storport.sys is "a storage port driver that is especially suitable for use with high-performance buses, such as fibre channel buses, and RAID adapters."

Does anyone know how to fix this storport.sys error? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Andre, thanks for the quick response!

I installed both the windows hotfix and the newest drivers for my motherboard.....but after running for about 15minutes, storport.sys started hogging 30+% of my cpu again. Is there anything else that may fix this issue?