InstallType codes

glocK_94

I'm trying to make a more modular 98SE install CD. My goal is to increase the number of options avaible in the custom install menu. So far, I've used successfully the 98Lite scripts to make components become options. I also modded a few *.inf files myself to turn other components into optional (such as taskmonitor). The problem is I'd like to customize the default, compact and portable installs to get rid of uneeded components.

In every *.inf files which contains the install scripts of optional components, you can find code similar to this :

[Optional Components]
WSH

[WSH]
OptionDesc = %DESC_WSH%
Tip = %TIPS_WSH%
Parent = AccessTop
Copyfiles = WSH.Copy.CScript, WSH.Copy.WScript, WSH.Copy.OCX, WSH.Copy.Samples, WSH.Copy.Help, WSH.Copy.OCX2
AddReg = WSH.AddReg.WSH, WSH.AddReg.Installed, WSH.AddReg.OCX2
InstallType = 14;Typical, Portable, Custom
IconIndex = 4
UnInstall = WSH.Uninstall

I'm interested by the InstallType variable. It determines in which type of install the component is installed (typical, minimal, laptop, custom).

Problem is, the comments sometimes contained in the *.inf files (as above) are often contradictory. Besides, I've only been able to find the InstallType references for Windows XP/2K on the net.

So far, here are the codes I came across :

0 (custom only)

4 (laptop only)

10 (typical only ?)

12 (?)

14 (typical, laptop and custom ?)

15 (all cases)

Other ones might do exist. Oh, and by the way, the options selected by default for a custom install are the same as for a typical setup (Edit : in the Windows default Inf, but that's not mandatory).

If anyone has a full list of InstallType codes, please share !

Edit : View post n°3 for a spreadsheet of all InstallTypes.

Edited by glocK_94

You got me curious so I went thru the inf folder and copied out every one that was different from any seen before to get this:

InstallType = 0 ;Manual only

InstallType = 0 ;Maunual Install Only

InstallType = 4 ;Portable

InstallType = 10 ;Typical, Custom

InstallType = 10 ; 1 = Compact, 2 = Typical, 4 = Portable, 8 = Custom

InstallType = 12 ;Portable, Custom.

InstallType = 14 ;Typical, Portable, Custom

InstallType = 15 ;Manual only

InstallType = 15 ;All Cases

The second 10 listing from SWFLSH16.INF is the one that holds the key. If you wanted an installation for Compact and Typical only you would use 3. Portable and Custom add together and become 12. Add them all and you have 15 or in other words All Cases or all 4 of them.

You add them up to get what you want. Lots of inf flags work the same way, popular method among machine language too. That is the complete list sure enough.

Every time I get next to an INF file, I want to toss some bones and do some conjuring it seems.

Brilliant ! I would never have figured it myself.

I got confused about Custom and Manual since Microsoft technet states that (about Win95 install process) "Notice that for Custom Setup, the options selected by default are the same as for a Typical installation".

That led me to believe that custom and manual were the same when actually, this just means that everytime they selected a component for Typical setup (2), they actualy also added the Custom flag (8). That's why you never find any "InstallType = 2" or "= 6".

Well, thanks a lot for the info ShadeTreeLee.

Here's a little spreadsheet listing all InstallType variables:

installtype.th.png

How shameful. :w00t:

;)

A windows 98 Frenchman that does not know/use a French program :whistle: :

WillyPad

http://snoopy81.ifrance.com/pages/willy.htm

From it's help:

InstallType refers to the Compact (1), Typical (2), Portable (4), Custom (8) Windows Setup type. With this flag you choose when your option is selected. Just add the figures to select two or more flags.

(the data about 0 is missing though)

:P

jaclaz

Nope. Never heard about Willypad! (handy tool by the way)

Yep, I guess it's syntax highlighting may come useful for your stated goal, personally I like it a lot, making .inf much more readable than "usual". :thumbup

jaclaz