Device Manager - Ghost entries

risk_reversal

I am trying to tidy up the 2 ghost entries [CTX USB Hub] in Device Manager relating to my old CTX monitor's USB hub. These show up while in Safe mode.

post-66334-1259186580_thumb.jpg

Under the Universal Serial Bus Controller heading, I have also noted 2 ghost entries for Unknown Device. These also only show up in Safe Mode.

post-66334-1259186593_thumb.jpg

I was going to delete the 2 CTX USB Hub entries but was wondering if the 2 Unknown Device ghost entries can also be safely deleted. I am sure they can but perhaps someone can confirm this please.

I understand that whatever I delete, windows will rebuilt the driver files ie drvdata.bin & drvidx.bin at reboot.

Many thanks for any info provided

Cheers

Edited by risk_reversal

When Windows 98 first came out, that was a common

trouble shooting technique ..... phone tech support

types would have you remove all entries under a

suspect branch.....reboot and let windows rebuild...then

look to see what windows put back to make sure the

correct drivers where installed.

If it puts back something that does not belong there,

look at ....

C:\windows\INF\OTHER\

You'll usually find the offending inf file there.

Jake

I was going to delete the 2 CTX USB Hub entries but was wondering if the 2 Unknown Device ghost entries can also be safely deleted. I am sure they can but perhaps someone can confirm this please.
Sure. You may delete these 4 entries. It's safe.

triger49 said:

If it puts back something that does not belong there,

look at ....

C:\windows\INF\OTHER\

You'll usually find the offending inf file there.

Cheers triger49. I was aware of that folder but in saying this, I did check that folder's contents and found a CTX inf file that I can also probably remove. I think this file is related to the monitor's driver which is also listed as a ghost entry in device manager and which I was also going to remove.

post-66334-1259230592_thumb.jpg

dencorso said:

Sure. You may delete these 4 entries. It's safe.

Many thanks

There are 2 other ghost entries in device manager which I would like your advice on. I was going to leave them but what do you think. The 2 branches under Human Interface Device.

post-66334-1259230767_thumb.jpg

I think the CTX USB Monitor branch can go but I am puzzled by the HID compliant device which I did try to search for but found confusing results. These also only show up in Safe Mode.

Good Luck

There are 2 other ghost entries in device manager which I would like your advice on. I was going to leave them but what do you think. The 2 branches under Human Interface Device.

post-66334-1259230767_thumb.jpg

I think the CTX USB Monitor branch can go but I am puzzled by the HID compliant device which I did try to search for but found confusing results. These also only show up in Safe Mode.

Good Luck

Don't let the geek speak throw you, H.I.D. is MS$ way of saying USB Keyboard /mouse Etc.

I even have a USB sound card here by Altec Lansing that installs that way.... Ditch the CTV

monitor entry and the HID entry and they should stay gone. Only exception to that rule is if

something is on the motherboard that expects to find them, which I doubt seriously is the

case here.....

Jake

You may delete both also.

If the HID compliant device turns out to be something still attached, it'll be redetected on reboot.

It probably is a drawing tablet, joystick, mouse or keyboard, or even a local bluetooth access-point...

• 2 weeks later...