vista codecs (by shark)

Kiki Burgh

hi! i need technical guidance in making a command line installer of shark's vista codecs that can be used in hfslip (perhaps via HFSVCPACK ... or via HFSVCPACK_SW1 having extracted the .msi after installing the packaged .exe) ... he used to have a command-line ver of the installer for every release but has since rested making one ... below are the switches (& other handy info) that shark shared:

filename.exe /S /v/qn

"filename.MSI vobsub=0 xvid=0 setup=0 /qn"

installs English without the vobsub or xvid components and no website popup

MSI can be broken down using msiexec /a "filename.msi" targetdir=c:\existingpath /qb to get down to the basic files

do i need to & how to make the .msi a command-line installer then? how do i get this to work in hfslip unattended? or do i make use of the .msi instead? maybe create a switchless installer? i am apprehensive about modifying anything in the script & just love hfslip the way it executes things. any guidance will be truly appreciated. Edited by Kiki Burgh

This is more of a tutorial of how to do unattended installs and isn't really hfslip releated. Three options come to my head.

First - Why not extract/run the program and then use the hfexpert/codecs folder. Or in other words, make your own codec package out of that. This method is true slipstreaming.

Second - If that's not what you want to use, why not make a self extracting sfx with a built in commandline that automatically installs it without any switches? There's lots of tutorials for that on the unattended site.

Third - Place the file in svcpack, but rename the file with a different extension. Then create a cmd file inside svcpack where it first renames the file back to normal and then runs the switch that shark provided. This is similar to #2.

thanks tp (either you're up very early or you haven't gotten any sleep yet ;))! i am attempting to compress it w/ the .exe, a .ini & a svcpack folder containing a .cmd file. the 1st option if i recall it right means i have to get all the files & put them in the codecs sub dir. i thought of the 2nd as well ... heck, i'll try all & see where i'll succeed. ;)

Edited by Kiki Burgh