Buffalo DriveStation NAS not Windows 98 Compatable

rloew

I recently purchased a 1TB Buffalo DriveStation FlexNet Model HD-CE1.0TLU2 External USB/NAS Drive.

The USB works fine.

Under Windows XP it works fine.

In Windows 98SE I can see the Share using NET VIEW only by using the Server Name not by it's IP Address.

NET USE without a Drive Letter will let me connect to it, but fails if I specify a Drive letter. It reports Invalid Network Type Error 66 and tells me to specify a Drive Letter which of course I already had done.

My Amiga Computer reports an Unrecognized Protocol.

I called Buffalo and was told it does not support Windows 98, Macs or Linux.

Apparently another class of Hardware is losing support for Windows 9X.

That problem should be solved by adding a client lanman auth = yes to smb.conf on the NAS, and restarting or resetting smbd. But I don't know if it's possible or feasable on that NAS. After all, this is not a NAS hacking forum.

• 1 month later...
That problem should be solved by adding a client lanman auth = yes to smb.conf on the NAS, and restarting or resetting smbd. But I don't know if it's possible or feasable on that NAS. After all, this is not a NAS hacking forum.

Hacking the NAS may or may not be possible. I returned the drive my original post.

My point was that newer NAS drives were coming out that are no longer compatable with Windows 9X.

Some other drives, such as the Coolmax CN-300 can be accessed from Windows 9X, but incorrectly handle short filenames causing potential name conflicts.

I finally settled on the Coolmax CN-330 dual enclosure.

So far I haven't seen a NAS drive that uses the same method of reporting Short Filenames as does DOS and Windows 9X. The two Coolmax Enclosures use the format internally but neither use it externally. The CN-330 uses a six letter hash. My old LS-160 uses a two letter hash.

I would be interested in knowing what, if any, NAS enclosure uses the standard short file names externally.

Edited by rloew