SetupComplete/FirstLogonCommands

I'm just about finished in my setup but am running into some small annoyances. I have looked for basic details regarding this but cant seem to find the answer.

I want to install software and reg tweaks for both HKLM & HKCU before the user see the desktop. When I try to install from SetupComplete.cmd, Install gets stuck at "Setup is checking video Performance" screen, although the apps are installing in the background as I can see the progress bars from teh app installing. Some apps take a while to install and I dont want the user to power down and restart in the middle! When I run from FirstLogon command not all adjustments/tweaks are made.

So my questions is: What are the limitations from using FirstLogonCommands and SetupComplete.cmd?

Thank you

Matt

have you thought about customising you wim image to already contian your software install??

i try not to use first logon commands unless i really need to, to avoid the end user having to wait for 'said' installs to complete before they can use thier system.

this way you have a complete install of your o/s and software and can be audited if need be. first logon commands will not run until oobe has completed.

• 1 month later...

simple answer there isn't. Hkcu will not but the HKLM will be applied during setupcomplete.cmd and will apply but HKLM at Firstlogon requires reboot.

HKCU however if an app does not need reboot then you can add Hkcu with Firstlogon and then just do a logoff with Firstlogon

Now I always include Acronis on mine so what does that mean. You have to reboot before it works. So in cleanup I do a shutdown.exe /r to Reboot. All problems solved.

Another method? Do auditsys and audituser and use same setupcomplete and Firstlogon. When PC starts for first time after that All problems solved.

Win 98 or was it 98SE had something or a program that would refresh the reg but I lost details with an accidental format of wrong drive but doubt it would work with this 7

EDIT: I think what I done tried was kill explorer.exe and restart it and some of the Hkcu will apply but not the real important ones I was trying to do.

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 5 years later...