Safely Remove Security Catalogs

UberGeek

Can anyone give me tips for [How To] safely remove Security Catalogs from Installer source of XP installation (either manually or with tools if any)

I have disabled SFC already.

What could be the long term risks (if any)?

Manual Method:

1. Decompress SvcPack.in_ in I386.
  2. Open SvcPack.inf and remove all entries in the [ProductCatalogsToInstall] section.
  3. Place SvcPack.inf in I386, delete SvcPack.in_. It is not necessary to recompress, but the old file must be removed.
  4. In the "I386/SvcPack" directory, delete all CAT and CA_ files.
  5. Done.

Long term risks have been explained recently.

Great ! That was real quick, thank you @5eraph !!! :thumbup

I was wondering if there would be any other things to do or not - you saved me browsing a lot for vain :w00t:

Moderators can now mark this Topic [sOLVED], :yes: really!

Being ready to do this, I suppose you also read the warning in nLite that if you remove .CAT files, you will also get a lot of prompts about files not being digitally signed, right? I don't know if these prompts will break your unattended install, but it's worth doing another search and being completely informed of all the consequences.

For example, I have about 50 of MS's updates and hotfixes; along with DirectX and driver catalog files (marked with oemxx where xx is a number), the size totals to about 9.5MB. It's not too big of a size, and how faster can it be? I have about 15-20 programs installing from RunOnce and at least that much add-ons, I haven't stripped a lot, and it still takes an hour total for a complete install.

So, what I'm saying is have your options open and do a lot of test using a VM; if a quick install is all you're interested in, then disregard this.

Enjoy

I'll keep it in mind that it may cause problem with directx.

As of other things, My windows is Highly stripped down (180 MB) with only ADDED thing is WMP11 & apart from this every thing is removed as much possible.

If somebody can tell me about the DirectX cat/ca_ file names or naming conventions, I wont remove 'em.

I'm testing this in VirtualBox (& I plan to use it heavily as a virtual OS mainly) so far it haven't come up with any driver/catalog related problem.

But If anyone know how to give it a ACID test (if any prob may occur) - my thanks goes to him.

I'm facing only problem right now, is network related, I'm posting my problem HERE IN THIS THREAD.

I always keep languages to be able to open any web page in any language correctly. I don't see what could be causing your network problems, although your removal list seems too short to me for a 180 MB reduced source, besides, no services settings and tweaks are applied. May you be trimming a previously nlited source so not all components removed appear in the list?

Edited by strel

I always keep languages to be able to open any web page in any language correctly. I don't see what could be causing your network problems, although your removal list seems too short to me for a 180 MB reduced source, besides, no services settings and tweaks are applied. May you be trimming a previously nlited source so not all components removed appear in the list?

I didn't apply any tweaks or options etc. I first want a problemless Component removal - & thats what I'm testing right now.

As of for 180MB - watchout for Language/keyboard/manual_install/help/tour etc removal.

This is not meant to browse multilingual sites - will only be used for LAN party (with ability to browse english only sites)

As I said, this is not previously nlited. This is applied over (a clean (WinXP 5.1.2600 Pro noSP + Manual Integration of SP3) + WMP11 Slipstream) & as of now no other system files or Catalogs removed or modified or misplaced manually or with tools.

Thanks for watching the Session file & comment - I really appreciate it.