Slipstreaming Updates

markomus

Probably already been answered elsewhere, but...

I slipstreamed SP3 using nLite. That worked great! Then I decided to go further and slipstream the first batch of updates (a total of 45). They all integrated successfully. I gave the installation a shot. Everything installed. BUT...when I went to the Windows Update page it was showing that the 45 updates hadn't installed. There they were all check marked and ready for download! :blink: What'd I miss here?

A few questions to diagnose more easily:

- did you use individual updates from the MS website or an update pack?

-if from MS, did you rename them?

-Check C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\ to see if the security catalogs for those updates are present in the folders

and of course, please attach your Last_Session.ini :-)

Enjoy

I sense this becoming a catch phrase like "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" :D . Where's Johnhc ?

Anyway, one could check this thread, it's too long for me :blushing: but seems relevant even if it is not clear wether his problem got fixed or not.

Also post your %windir%\inf\nlite.inf after removing any personal details like Windows username and password. That's where the updates are applied to the registry.

I sense this becoming a catch phrase like "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" :D . Where's Johnhc ?

Ponch, you were very good at understanding what that smiley means :thumbup . Congrats... Still, how can one rephrase what has been so well put by johnhc?

A few questions to diagnose more easily:

- did you use individual updates from the MS website or an update pack?

-if from MS, did you rename them?

-Check C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\ to see if the security catalogs for those updates are present in the folders

Enjoy

- I used individual updates from the MS website

- I didn't rename them

- The security catalogs are absent

Uh...heh :blushing: newbie here. How do I find/attach Last_Session.ini?

Edited by markomus

Anyway, one could check this thread, it's too long for me :blushing: but seems relevant even if it is not clear wether his problem got fixed or not.

Thank you for that thread link. I started to get a little confused, so I'm just going to stick to a step-by-step review of my specific problem. Much appreciate the foot work done, though! Thanks!

Also post your %windir%\inf\nlite.inf after removing any personal details like Windows username and password. That's where the updates are applied to the registry.

I was unable to locate this in the fresh install. I take it that's a bad sign???

You only slipstreamed 1 Hotfix - and it`s path is way too long.

Please create a folderstructure on another partition like this:

D:\

-XPCD

-SP3

-ISO

-HOTFIXES

--MS-Updates

--Addons

It´s a better way to work, pathes are kept short, you don`t loose everything in case of new XP-Installation on C:

Edited by g-force

You only slipstreamed 1 Hotfix - and it`s path is way too long.

Please create a folderstructure on another partition like this:

D:\

-XPCD

-SP3

-ISO

-HOTFIXES

--MS-Updates

--Addons

It´s a better way to work, pathes are kept short, you don`t loose everything in case of new XP-Installation on C:

I give you my word I instructed nLite to insert all 45 hotfixes. :} I'll try it the way you instructed, though, and shorten the file structure. I'll post back soon. Thank you! :)