Help, not an adminstrator...something i did in Nlite.

F1refly

I used Nlite and in the login configuration area, i created a user with a blank password. I assumed i'd have administrator priveleges but after install i cannot activate my key nor access Msconfig...etc. says i must be an administrator to do this.

i removed the user logoff and turned off the secondary user service, I cant seem to figure out how to login as administrator but most important, how do i change my username to have administrator privledges?

F1refly, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

The problem wasnt Nlite itself afaik, it was a setting for user logons, creating a user account, it did not make it administrator privelege. admin was checked.

so i'm a "Limited" user account. I need to change that. there was no passwords.

Next time, i wont bother configuring it, but for now i need to upgrade my privelge. I tried "control userpasswords2" i type in "administrator" and blank password but it says not enough info ...etc. The passwords are all blank, so not sure what to do.

XP Home? Nothing to do with nLite.

Except if... How did nLite create "F1reFly" user? (Is it administrator?) Check in your LAST_SESSION_U.INI (Don't post it here!).

I haven't checked, but common sense would say that restricted user cannot create admin user (escalation of privilege).

To cut the long story short, reboot in safe mode and login as the Administrator.

GL

*Edit: I still don't know if any other administrator can log in to XP home in non-Safe Mode.

Edited by GrofLuigi

F1refly, thanks for the Last Session and please let us know if your problem is resolved. I think GrofLuigi is correct in using Safe Mode (F8 during boot). Just do a logoff and you should see the Administrator account on the logon screen. If that does not work, DL a program called TweakUI. Install it and activate the option to show the Administrator on the Logon screen. Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

XP Home? Nothing to do with nLite.

Except if... How did nLite create "F1reFly" user? (Is it administrator?) Check in your LAST_SESSION_U.INI (Don't post it here!).

I haven't checked, but common sense would say that restricted user cannot create admin user (escalation of privilege).

To cut the long story short, reboot in safe mode and login as the Administrator.

GL

*Edit: I still don't know if any other administrator can log in to XP home in non-Safe Mode.

I created F1reFly user with Nlite silly, lol, i mentioned all that and yes f1refly user is a "limited" user but not by my choice.

when i created a new user in Nlite's user accounts tab, somehow it restricted me. all i did was type in a username with blank password and to automatically login. that was all. Apparantly it defaults to restricted user? if so, i did not know, but my main question was ...how do i change F1reFly from restricted to administrator is what i need right now.

safemode does not allow access to admin. it automatically logs in to my username...no welcome or logon screen. i cannot change anything in "control userpasswords2" it just pops up a box asking for name and password but displays "not enough info error message when i type my username or Administrator.

i think it wants a password, but i never put in any passwords, i always use blank passwords since i'm the only user but looks to me like something else got removed or screwed up cause thats not what the control userpasswords2 screen looks like normally. usually it shows administrator, guest...etc listed.

I almost wonder if somehow Administrator was completely removed? many years ago, i remember i deleted the administrator so that only my user name was available but it screwed up my logons and i could not get into windows, but in this particular case, i can get into windows but cant get into administrator.

Edited by F1refly

F1refly, did you read my last reply???????????????

Go into Safe Mode, then logoff. Hopefully, when to get to the Logon screen, the Administrator account will be there. I don't think you can remove the Administrator account, and I don't know what the default is for sure, but I suspect the PW is blank. If you can logon as Administrator (in Safe Mode), you should be able to change the F1refly account. Please try it and let us hear. Also read my previous reply for another option. Enjoy, John.

-creating new user with nLiye does make it administrator by default so you must have changed it somehow (yes, check the last session_u.ini).

-as stated by johnc, and given the fact you autologon to your user, once in Safe Mode, you must then LOG OFF to relog as "Administrator". Then you'll have admin privileges and will be able to give them to your account. This is all XP Home normal behaviour, no nLite colateral damage.

-creating new user with nLiye does make it administrator by default so you must have changed it somehow (yes, check the last session_u.ini).

-as stated by johnc, and given the fact you autologon to your user, once in Safe Mode, you must then LOG OFF to relog as "Administrator". Then you'll have admin privileges and will be able to give them to your account. This is all XP Home normal behaviour, no nLite colateral damage.

well i couldnt logoff to change it. windows would not let me log off. I've used Nlite for years so i'm not a noob, so i dont think it was anything i did directly. So i took care of problem now, what i did was redo Nlite again, load up the last session and had everything the same except this time i didnt mess with the logon tab or create any user, just left it default and everything worked fine. i think Nlite it mustve been some oddball error corruption during processing.

so now i have a nice 205mb iso (896mb's install before drivers) and everything is working good now. after installing apps i'm only using just over 1 gig of space....take that Vista and Windows 7.

for a useable and fully functioning OS, thats hard to beat. W7 took 14.6 gb's after install, so this saves me 13 gigs on my netbook, makes a big difference for videos