"Windows 2000 total slipstream" procedure

frobozz

Hi all,

About two weeks ago I created a Windows 2000 install CD by following the Windows 2000 total slipstream tutorial (up to and including step 13). The install went OK, but whenever I try to login, I get an error message:

explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created.

after which I can only hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE, log off, and try again. :-(

Any ideas?

I'm not trying to make anything fancy, just an install CD with all updates so I won't have to run (the horrendously slow) Windows Update immediately after installation. Perhaps there are better ways to reach this goal?

HFSLIP.LOG.zip

A botched hotfix or a virus can do this.

This simply should not occur.

BTW, I just dealt with a virus that not only corrupted my Win2k directory (and changed file dates back so it was not easy to see) it also corrupted 90% of the binaries in my HF folder.

Are you trying to slipstream IE6 AND use FDV's fileset? I'm afraid you gotta do one or the other, not both.

You're right. My fault. Now that I re-read the tutorial, I see that the fdvfiles.zip file is not linked directly until the "Removing IE (and a LOAD of other junk) completely" section. In my defence I'll say only that the tutorial has

After putting my files into FDVFILES, you do NOT need to do much more than read and learn!

in the very first section. That's what I started by doing.

Anyway, thank you both for your time and sorry about the noise.

Are you trying to slipstream IE6 AND use FDV's fileset? I'm afraid you gotta do one or the other, not both.

It's not documented, but if you look at FDV's syssetup.inf, then under Infs.Always, then you can opt to have IE6 and OE6 kept. Also in ie.inf, then i can see that FDV is preparing an option for only installing the IE-core...

CU, Martin :)

It's not documented, but if you look at FDV's syssetup.inf, then under Infs.Always, then you can opt to have IE6 and OE6 kept. Also in ie.inf, then i can see that FDV is preparing an option for only installing the IE-core...

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not using FDV's files any longer. I've created a new install CD, installed the OS with it, and now explorer.exe doesn't give me any trouble when I login. Yay! Unfortunately, when I go to Windows Update, it shows that it has 50 high priority updates for me. This can't be right?

Do I need to do anything between runs of the hfslip-1.7.8.cmd command?

HFSLIP.LOG.zip

First, hfslip should be run on a fresh/clean source every time.

Second, please use the latest hfslip beta, which can be obtained from the stickied "test releases" thread, as there's been alot of changes/fixes...

Third, if you are having trouble with fdv's latest fileset(set-9), and still wants to give it a shoot, then PM me, and i'll send you fdv's previous fileset(set-8j), which i currently use on two boxes without any problems(it's very stable and has no issues), untill fdv has ironed everything out in set-9...

If you're not into fdv's fileset anymore, but still want's a leaner install, then i would highly recommend TommyP's(and Oleg II's) hfcleanup reducers, which also makes for a really nice and lean Win2k install, where you also can opt to leave in the IE core, or even the full IE. If not reducing IE at all with hfcleanup, then either delete Service_ErrorReporting.rem and Service_ErrorReporting.inf, or open Service_ErrorReporting.rem in notepad and make an underscore infront of DWIL1033.DL i.e. _DWIL1033.DL, as else there will come a file-copy error about that file not being present at about T-13(from hfslipwu.inf). Note, there isn't even an error reporting service in Win2k, and it's related to XP(and maybe 2k3?)

Edited by Martin H