Message From YouTube About IE 6 Browser [Solved]

Monroe

That won't work, as the provided code (that isn't even a script) doesn't depend on the sent user agent string. It uses IE conditional comments, which are interpreted by IE itself. In this case, IE will only parse the code if its version is less than 7.

You'd either need to disable IE's parsing of conditional comments, or make itself believe it is a higher version.

That's *precisely* what my reg hack does: IE reads it's version from the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector key. That's why it *does* work. See: Conditional Comments, at MSDN.

@CharlesF: Thanks for the report! I think it's not necessary to change the HKU\.DEFAULT string. That's the default user... The current user should take precedence over that. And local machine ought to override both. I may be wrong, however.

BTW, are you being able to access http://windower.net/ie6.html? All I'm getting is a # 403 error (Forbidden)...

However it may use the HKU\.DEFAULT string (or the HKCU string), in case my reg hack doesn't work with that site. There should be another "User Agent" at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings, and this may be the more important entry (in case we find out we do have to spoof them also).

In any case, to simmulate IE7 on XP, set "User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

or, for IE7 on unspecified Win32, set it to "User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)"

But don't do it until you find a site that my reg hack doesn't work with. Then, do it and see whether it helps.

And be sure to report your findings, please.

dencorso,

Awhile back you added a download of several User Agents that would mask the fact that IE 6 was actually being used. The "default" one will take one back to IE 6 but also showing XP as the OS. I use Win 98SE with IE 6 ... would it be possible for you to make a Win 98SE - IE 6 "default" program so that I might have that handy to install if I would need to? I am currently using the IE 7 with XP download that you provided. Works fine but I'd like to be able to go back to Win 98SE - IE 6 if an update page somewhere would require that information. thanks ...

duffy98

The "default" one will take one back to IE 6 but also showing XP as the OS.

Hi, duffy98!

Both in my original reg hack and in the improved one, some posts above, REGBACK.REG has the following command:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
"Version"=-
"Platform"=-

Now, the above command does not set any version for both IE and Win, it, instead, just exposes the true OS and IE, by simply deleting the spoof. Now, if you test it with IE6 under XP, it'll say it's IE6 on XP, whereas, if you do it under 9x, it ought to say it's IE6 on 9x. That's how it ought to work. If it doesn't, there's something definitely strange with your system. Aren't you, perchance, using also KernelEX?

Latter edit: This version has been removed, as it prooved to be an overkill. Please use the one downloadable from post #148 instead.

Edited by dencorso
Remooved the 3rd_Update

are you being able to access http://windower.net/ie6.html? All I'm getting is a # 403 error (Forbidden)...

However it may use the HKU\.DEFAULT string (or the HKCU string), in case my reg hack doesn't work with that site. There should be another "User Agent" at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings, and this may be the more important entry (in case we find out we do have to spoof them also).

And be sure to report your findings, please.

The site was down this morning, but it is OK now.

The page: http://windower.net/ie6.html has nothing to do with the User Agent spoofing.

It is the place were you are redirected from an another page containing the script.

You can check one of these (but the server is not working so well):

http://forums.windower.net/

http://www.windower.net/forums/lofiversion...x.php?f1-0.html

http://www.windower.net/forums/topic/15028-patch-download/

Even the 2nd update of your reg files is spoofing them!

I have not been able to find a site needing the new strings in HKCU & HKU.

Everything is opening with the 2nd version of your files.

We could also think about those keys, used to spoof the "User Agent" of the Pocket PC's (=Pocket Internet Explorer):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent]
@="Mozilla/4.0"
"Compatible"="compatible"
"Platform"="Windows NT 5.1"
"Version"="MSIE 7.0"

:hello:

dencorso,

Thanks for explaining how your default user agent works. However, when I go to certain sites that tell you what OS and browser you are using, I keep getting XP as my OS. I am not sure why this is happening ... before I posted my last message I did research on Google what a Win 98 - IE 6 user agent should be and how to install it manually with regedit.

Site 01 : http://www.mg55.net/browser

Site 02 : http://tdb.rpc1.org/ ...... go all the way to the very bottom of the web page and there is a box telling you

what OS is on your machine.

Site 03 : http://www.richmcgrew.com/id.html

Site 04 : http://www.labinacell.ac.uk/people/dan/browser.php

Site 05 : http://kluge.in-chemnitz.de/tools/browser.php

I downloaded and installed the Win 98 user agent in your new User Agent Update package and I am still getting XP as my OS when I go to the first 2 sites. I am not sure about KernelEX. I just installed it on one of my computers in the last 2 weeks, not sure if it was this one or not. However, I was working with a manual Win 98 - IE 6 User Agent before that and still getting XP as my OS. The IE 7 does change back to IE 6 but the OS stays at XP. I have two other computers that I will try your download out on. Thanks again for the download and the addition of the Win 98 User Agent string.

Maybe some others could see what those first two sites read as their OS. If you have 98 or 98SE and they tell you that then I'd like to know.

*** I just used the test page in your last message ... I also get XP there as my OS ... with IE 6.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

Browser IE 6.0 ->Detail

run on Windows XP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks, duffy98

Edited by duffy98

@duffy98: Check, please, what values does you registry have under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion (there should be none, but for the inevitable "Default", and this should be empty).

@CharlesF: I'm glad my 2nd update is enough. I really thought it should be so. Now, as for your suggestion note that @="Mozilla/4.0" and "Compatible"="compatible" are unnecessary, because IE6 (our presumed true browser) already reports those values, so there's no need to spoof them. On the other hand the User Agent key is directly under the Internet Settings key, not the Internet Settings\5.0 key, but, AKIK, if the latter exists, it takes precedence over the former, so there's no need for us to use both (but no harm in doing it either). Let's let people test for some more time: if nobody finds any difference in the results obtained with the 2nd update and those obtained with the third, I shall withdraw the latter.

@both: Thanks a lot for your prompt report! You both rock! :thumbup

dencorso,

From your last post ...

"Check, please, what values does you registry have under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion (there should be none, but for the inevitable "Default", and this should be empty)."

Yes, I have everything showing just as you say it should be ... current version "default" says: (value not set).

Ok, thanks for the help and all the good posts ...

duffy98

I'm glad my 2nd update is enough.

... Let's let people test for some more time

dencorso, I'd checked the all 5 sites provided by duffy98, with your 2nd update only.

Each one is telling XP with IE7, with no evidence of Win 98 or IE 6! :thumbup

I am still getting XP as my OS when I go to the first 2 sites. I am not sure about KernelEX.
duffy98, here is the personnal reg file I use to go back to my exact initial point, on Win98SE and IE 6.

When I use it, I get Windows 98 & IE 6 on your 5 sites! :rolleyes:

So try it, we never know:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector]
"IE"="6.0000"
"zIE"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent]
@=""
"Compatible"=-
"Platform"=-
"Version"=-

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)"

(with a empty line at the bottom).

Be carefull: I erase the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent] because it didn't existed at all for me. So have a look first that it doesn't included anything else in your registry.

If it's not enough,

1-Empty your browser cache (most often: C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files)

2-make a search in your registry for the string: Windows NT 5

Normally, it doesn't have to appear.

BTW, KernelEx 4 is not a problem.

I have it installed also.

dencorso, CharlesF, anyone ...

those registry settings that you (CharlesF) supplied in your last post ... the ones that will make a browser show Win 98SE or Win 98 with IE 6 ... I am not exactly sure what to do with them. Do they need to be manually changed each time I might want to show Win 98Se - IE 6 ... that will take forever, it seems, to switch back to Win 98.

dencorso, did you read the top part of the last post from CharlesF, in reference to you. I was wondering if you came up with any new ideas why the 98 - IE 6 registry fix isn't working. Is it possible to put the registry fix that CharlesF supplied in his last post into one of those registry fixes that you make. I do not know how you make those little quick registry change files. thanks ....

Hi, duffy98!

Here's how to. It's quite easy:

(i) higlight the code provided by CharlesF and copy it to notepad

(ii) add one (or, even better two) blank line(s) at the end

(iii) save it with any name (I used CFregIE698.txt)

(iv) rename it from .txt to .reg, and it's ready to run!

But this one I've already done for you. Find it attached to this post.

Enjoy!

BTW, I've sent you a PM.

CFregIE698.7z

dencorso,

Well, I just tried the 98-IE6 download and I am still getting XP as my OS. It does show IE6 ... that always changes between IE6 and IE7, just not the OS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

Browser IE 6.0 ->Detail

run on Windows XP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replied to your pm ... thanks.

Well, a simple solution was found and my computer now says I have Windows 98 with IE 6 at the test web sites or if I need it to say Windows 98 for some reason. I have Proxomitron on my computer for web filtering ... I use the Sidki Filter Set and just go with whatever he has in the set. After a lot of help from dencorso and the User Agent downloads he has provided ... I was ready to call it a night and then I thought about Proxomitron and maybe checking the "Bypass" mode and then test at those web sites. There it was .... Windows 98 and IE 6 ...

Site 01 ....

Browser IE 6.0 ->Detail

run on Windows 98

Compare to other services:

UA profiler IE 6.0

Browser Capabilities Project IE 6.0 run on Win98

UserAgentString.com Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0 run on Windows 98

WURFL Palm run on Palm OS

Site 02 ...

Browser Identification

This is the identification string sent by the browser to the server:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; FDM)

From this string the following informations were extracted:

browser_name_regex: ^mozilla/4\.0 (compatible; msie 6\.0; .*windows 98.*).*$

browser_name_pattern: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; *Windows 98*)*

parent: IE 6.0

platform: Win98

browser: IE

version: 6.0

majorver: 6

win32: YES

frames: YES

iframes: YES

So the very first User Agent download set supplied by dencorso in July 2009 should work for everything. I have tried it today ... just have to remember to check Bypass in Proxomitron if you might be using the Sidki Filter Set. I have no idea if the "default" set by Scott Lemon would also change the OS id at a web site. We got a real good Super Moderator here, dencorso, for helping forum people out. He went more than an extra mile!

*** dencorso has since informed me that the 2nd User Agent update in Post # 148 is the better one to use.

thanks,

duffy98

Edited by duffy98

• 3 weeks later...
Let's let people test for some more time: if nobody finds any difference in the results obtained with the 2nd update and those obtained with the third, I shall withdraw the latter.
Hi dencorso,

here is a new site displaying a banner 'You are using an outdated browser' even with your reg:

:angry:http://www.addictinggames.com/ .

I have tried:

- to spoof 'User Agent' in

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

& [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

(= 3rd update),

- to add the keys in

(= my post #154),

- to use the key given to install Flash10 with KernelEx

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"CurrentVersion"="5.1"

...but none is working :blushing:

It seems that the script used for it, is in:

http://www.addictinggames.com/static/js/et...erInfoModule.js

and the banner called 'mamabar',

but I didn't understood where it is reading in the registry. :wacko:

here is a new site displaying a banner 'You are using an outdated browser' even with your reg:

:angry:http://www.addictinggames.com/ .

[...]

It seems that the script used for it, is in:

userInfoModule.js

and the banner called 'mamabar', but I didn't understand where it is reading in the registry. :wacko:

You're quite right! In userInfoModule.js it really is! It's the "(typeof document.body.style.maxHeight === "undefined")" But no, it doesn't rely on "User Agent", nor on "Version Vector", and, in fact, it doesn't read the registry at all: it's Abe Fettig's Javascript Method of detecting IE6 and older IE versions, and it detects a feature not present in any version before IE7, so it relies on an intrinsic difference between IE7+ and IE6- ... :( I don't know how to spoof that, and I suspect it won't be easy to do it, if a method is ever found, sorry!

Here's more info about it:

Suggestions on how to spoof this method are most welcome!

P.S.: It's not clear to me what the "mamabar" bit does, however.