Tomcat's NT4 slipstreaming utility

pcalvert

I was surprised to find this today. I searched the forums several months ago, looking for information on slipstreaming NT4, and totally missed it. I just searched the forums again and was also surprised to find no discussions about this utility. I guess I'm not the only person to have overlooked this. Has anyone tried it?

Phil

Basic slipstreamer for WKS and SRV (SP6a, rollup, Windows Installer 2.0 and select hotfixes).

Download (pick latest)

Read _readme.txt as well as the _support*.txt file that applies to your edition (Terminal Server not supported yet).

This project may merge with HFSLIP.

(Found it here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=745252 )

Your own risk, no production systems please, comes with no warranty and no support from us, etc etc.

This forum really isn't "for" this software, it was a one-off made as kind of a technical challenge.

We didn't intend for anyone to use it outside of a core group of about 10 of us fiddling with NT. It's got some HFSLIP code but don't expect us to offer help since it wasn't intended for wide release. So -- hobbyists only, please. :)

There is other slipstreaming software for NT out there too, but this one overcomes several key issues that others miss. (For example, though I forget the name, there is a SP6a driver file that has the same name as an NT system file. This program is "aware" of this and streams correctly. Others don't.) So, this will create a working NT, but I encourage switching to Win2000 at the very least. Many bugs and exploits cropped up -after- support for NT was discontinued.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for providing additional info about this utility and the warning about not using NT4 on production systems. In my case, I am interested in running Windows NT Workstation 4.0 in a VM and maybe also on old, "junk" computers. In both cases, Windows NT will not be connected to a network, or will have very limited network access for specific purposes which do not include e-mail or web access.

I was originally thinking of using Windows 98, probably slimmed down a little with 98lite, for particular applications where a "light" version of Windows is desirable. Then, a few months ago, I ran into a comment about how NT Workstation has excellent performance in a VM, and I realized that it might be a better choice than Win9x for what I want to do.

Phil