Wireless Never Works On Any Custom Install

LiteR

I've been attempting to make an even slimmer copy of XP than I am currently running.

I'm using Win XP SP3 as a base.

I cannot get my wireless working at all, I have tried Wifi Hopper, Windows Zero Config and the Asus Utility bundled with my motherboard. After I install the Wifi driver all these Wireless Applications can see wireless networks but they cannot connect to them, when I reboot into either Windows 7 or my full version of Win XP the wireless works fine.

I attached my last session.ini, thanks in advance.

LAST_SESSION.INI

LiteR, I would suggest you start by going into Computer Management - Services and start all the services you have disabled and see if that helps. Of the things you have removed, I would think that Internet Explorer is the most likely candidate and perhaps Error Reporting (seems unlikely). You are also building an XP ISO under W7 and this may well not work, although some says it does. I think you will need to run some experiments and I hope you have a virtual system available for testing. VMware server, VirtualPC and VirtualPC are all free. Enjoy, John.

LiteR, I would suggest you start by going into Computer Management - Services and start all the services you have disabled and see if that helps. Of the things you have removed, I would think that Internet Explorer is the most likely candidate and perhaps Error Reporting (seems unlikely). You are also building an XP ISO under W7 and this may well not work, although some says it does. I think you will need to run some experiments and I hope you have a virtual system available for testing. VMware server, VirtualPC and VirtualPC are all free. Enjoy, John.

Thanks for your response.

From doing some reasearch on these forums I have learned that the services that should not be disabled, and I have not disabled, are NAP, Extensible Authentication, and Wireless Zero Config. I also read that Wifi Hopper has its own components making not all of those services required. However, I was not able to have Wifi Hopper auto-connect to my network even after choosing the correct options to have it stay in connection mode and auto-connect.

I have also built the ISO under Win XP x86, the ISO also being x86. It seems I will just have to experiment will trial and error. Thanks for your response.

Any additional replys that could help me are appreciated.

LiteR, have you tried starting the services? The reason I suggested this is because you can do it without building a new ISO and installing. Please let know what you find. Enjoy, John.

Any additional replys that could help me are appreciated.

In addition to johnhc's excellent advice, the most probable culprits (IMHO) are:

Ethernet (LAN)

Wireless Ethernet (WLAN)

RasMan,4

RasAuto,4 (less likely)

You can't remove everything and expect it to work. :unsure:

I suggest you try starting RasMan manually and see if it works. Then, if you don't want to redo everything (and are persistent enough), there's always ProcMon.

GL

The services below must be set to automatic on Windows XP SP3 for wireless to work.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;DHCP Client
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp]
"Start"=dword:00000002

;Wired AutoConfig (SP3)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dot3svc]

;Extensible Authentication Protocol Service (SP3)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EapHost]

;Health Key and Certificate Management Service (SP3)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hkmsvc]

;Network Access Protection Agent (SP3)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\napagent]

;Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasAuto]

;Remote Access Connection Manager
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan]

;Telephony
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TapiSrv]

;Wireless Zero Configuration
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC]

Are you sure about that:

;Telephony

I always set this "Deactivated" - WLAN (without any 3rd-Party-Software) is still working.

Are you sure about that:

;Telephony

I always set this "Deactivated" - WLAN (without any 3rd-Party-Software) is still working.

Many wireless devices need it, my UMTS card does for example. So, better safe than sorry. ;)

Thanks for all the replies.

I booted into my other installed XP SP3 to compare the list beats has posted to my running services to see which are required by my adapter.

DHCP Client - Automatic (Running)

Wired AutoConfig - Manual (Not Running)

Extensible Authentication Protocol - Manual (Not Running)

Health Key and Certificate Management - Manual (Not Running)

Network Access Protection Agent - Manual (Not Running)

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager - Disabled (Not Running)

Remote Access Connection Manager - Disabled (Not Running)

Telephony - Manual (Not Running)

Wireless Zero Configuration - Automatic (Running)

So it appears my adapter (Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter) may only require DHCP Client and Windows Zero Configuration. I also noticed in the task manager a process that was not running on my most recent slimmed install, RtWlan.exe. I'm fairly sure that this is the problem and solution. If it is not I'll be sure to post back here.

Thank you for your help.