Dot-Net Drain-O...?

spinjector

Does anyone know if Microsoft (or anyone else) has any type of stand-alone "cleaner" utility that can be used to remove all versions & traces of Dot Net...???

I have an important application that needs 2.0 but CANNOT run on 3.5, and once 3.5 is installed, it CANNOT be uninstalled. It leaves junk behind and the only way for the application to work again on that PC is to wipe out Windows XP and reinstall it.

Thanks.

Edited by spinjector

1. Edit SETUPAPI.DLL

http://www.vorck.com/windows/edit-setupapi.html

2. Edit SYSOC.INF by commenting out:

netfx=netfxocm.dll,UrtOcmProc,netfxocm.inf,,7

No actually I meant from an existing installation of XP. This guy's got a lot of stuff installed and I don't want to blow his disk away yet.

There's too much stuff to slap a sloppy image over, and I'm not done with my HFSlip+nLite image yet.

But soon... :ph34r:

You could check out this program

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/200.../30/611355.aspx

I haven't used it myself.

YES..!!! DUDE YOU ROCK!!!

That totally cleaned up my Dot Net mess...! I've already used it to fix four machines so far and got that wide-eyed "WHAT?! YOU FIXED IT?! AND IT REALLY WORKS?!"-look from my users...!! :thumbup

Thanks!

Edited by spinjector

You are a brave soul leaving 'your environment' and 'your users' to the usefulness of forum supported applications. While I love both of those tools, I wouldnt deploy an image made with either of those because 1) they both make undocumented changes to your source (albeit minor in most cases) 2) You are now relegated to a tommyp's email and the niceness of strangers as there is no formal/paid support for either #3) Nlite is for Personal Use Only, and the creator has repeatedly asked very kindly to keep the software as such; the least we can do for such a wonderful free app is respect the authors wishes.

"AMD IT REALLY WORKS?!"
is a fantastic typo, and should be their new slogan. Edited by iamtheky

You are a brave soul leaving 'your environment' and 'your users' to the usefulness of forum supported applications. While I love both of those tools, I wouldnt deploy an image made with either of those because 1) they both make undocumented changes to your source (albeit minor in most cases) 2) You are now relegated to a tommyp's email and the niceness of strangers as there is no formal/paid support for either #3) Nlite is for Personal Use Only, and the creator has repeatedly asked very kindly to keep the software as such; the least we can do for such a wonderful free app is respect the authors wishes.
"AND IT REALLY WORKS?!"
is a fantastic typo, and should be their new slogan.

What typo? :whistle:

And I'm sorry, but my first post was not clear - the Dot Net problem was on existing installations of Windows XP that came from an original setup cd. This has nothing to do with HFSLIP or nLite or the others. That's why I started the topic in the general Windows XP forum.