Cannot install xp onto a preinstalled vista computer help!

Chosen1985

Hi guys I recently tried to reinstall XP onto my preinstalled Vista laptop but it seems I cannot do it, I have heard that to put XP onto an original Vista machine I have to use nLite or similar software to transfer some sort of files over *brain overloaded* :huh: . here are the messages below:

"Setup was unable to load support for the mass storage device you specified currently. Setup will load support for the following mass storage device(s)"

<none>

After that I had the option of hitting return to continue setup which I did then it seemed to load a few drivers....keyboard etc, realtek and so on then i got a blue screen of death which said the following.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer"

Stop: 0x0000007B (0xf78D2324, 0xc0000054, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

So do I have to use nLite to install XP onto this machine? if so can someone give me a guide as how to do this it would be greatly appreciated as I do not have a clue :) and if you need my BIOS information or anything else let me know.

Thanks, Gary.

Chosen1985, it is not clear what you are actually doing. You say you "tried to reinstall XP" in you Vista machine. Has XP been installed before? Is Vista still installed? Have you found XP drivers for your setup? Have you used nLite? I know of no reasons you would have to use an nLite program to do your install. The 07B error you are getting is saying it cannot find your HDD to install Windows. The first message sounds like your text mode drivers did not get in properly. How did you attempt to install them - F6? Assuming you did use nLite, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Hi johnhc, in reply to your questions XP has never been installed on this machine and yes Vista is still installed, I don't know how to find XP drivers and I have never used nLite just it was suggested to me to 'slipstream' some sata drivers onto my XP installation disk to see if that works.

Chosen1985, one of the very useful features of nLite is to install text mode drivers, so you do not have to use a floppy disk during XP install. Do you even have a floppy drive? If not, you do need something like nLite to install them for you or you will get an 07B (!) error. One of the bad things about recent machines is that they come with Vista and there are no XP drivers available. Armed with your machine maker and model, go to the manufacturer's web site and look for driver downloads and see if they offer XP drivers. If not you may be in deep, shall we say trouble. If you can find out about your hardware, you may be able to find drivers via searching the Internet. You can use two free programs to possibly learn about your HW. CPU-Z and GPU-Z (search Google) may be able to tell you enough to find drivers. You will need text mode (also called mass storage or F6) drivers for your SATA attached HDDs (and RAID, if using) as well as normal drivers for your other HW. Good luck, John.

You need "text mode" XP drivers for the mass storage device in your Vista machine. But don't you think "Vista machine" is a bit vague for anyone to point you in the direction of exactly what you need ?