Taking out windows tour

JayDogg

Ok Im making an unattended fully self installed windows disk. Now here is my problem I used nlite and told it to take out windows tour and msn messager but everytime I install the tour and msn messager still show up. So at this point I ran the disk in nlite again and the options to take out windows tour and msn messager are gone along with most of the other stuff I remove. Here is my last sessin.ini

[Tasks]
Service Pack Integration
Remove Components
Unattended Setup
Hotfixes and Update Packs
Tweaks
Options

[Components]
;# Applications #
Calculator
Games
Internet Games
Pinball
WordPad
;# Multimedia #
Movie Maker
;# Network #
Windows Messenger
;# Operating System Options #
Help and Support
Security Center
Tour
;# Compatibility #

[KeepFiles]
msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]
clock.avi
yahoo.bmp
swtchbrd.bmp

[Options]
ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"
TargetPath = "WINDOWS"
temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
AdvTweaks

[Patches]
DoUxTheme

[Services2]

[Tweaks]
Explorer-Show extensions of known file-types
Explorer-Show hidden files and folders

[Unattended]
UnattendMode = 1
ComputerType = Automatic
FirewallOff
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12
RestorePointLife = 30
DesktopTheme = Default||
AutoUDay = 5
AutoUHour = 15
ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"
CustomNetwork

[NetAdapter1]
connname = ""
macaddress = ""
ipaddress = "10.0.0.2"
subnetmask = "255.255.255.0"
defaultgateway = ""
dnsserver1 = ""
dnsserver2 = ""
winsserver = ""
netbiossetting = "0"
ipxnetworknumber = "00000000"
ipxnetworkframetype = "0xFF"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]

[Hotfixes]

Here is my NLITE.INF

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
[Optional Components]
nLite
[nLite]
OptionDesc = "nLite"
Tip = "Windows component removal adjustments and tweaks."
Modes = 0,1,2,3
AddReg = T
AddReg = TO
[U]
AddReg = T
[T]
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer","NoSMHelp",0x00010001,1
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour","RunCount",0x00010001,0
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Driver Signing","Policy",0x00000001,0
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing","BehaviorOnFailedVerify",0x00010001,0
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer","ForceClassicControlPanel",0x00010001,1
[C]
AddReg = CT
[CT]
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","Start_ShowHelp",0x00010001,0
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","NoSMHelp",0x00010001,1
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","HideFileExt",0x00010001,0
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","Hidden",0x00010001,1
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ShowSuperHidden",0x00010001,1
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","SuperHidden",0x00010001,0
HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF\LangBar","ShowStatus",0x00010001,3
[TO]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_02",0x00020000,"nhelper rd /q /s """"%SystemRoot%\Help\Tours"""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s01",0x00000000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nlite.inf,U"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s02",0x00020000,"nhelper del /q /s """"%10%\SET*.TMP"""""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s03",0x00020000,"nhelper delete ""%10%\SET3.TMP"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s04",0x00020000,"nhelper delete ""%17%\INFCACHE.1"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s05",0x00020000,"nhelper moveex ""%17%\syssbck.dll"" ""%11%\syssetup.dll"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s06",0x00020000,"nhelper moveex ""%17%\syssbck.inf"" ""%17%\syssetup.inf"""
HKU,".DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","_nltide_3",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_s07",0x00020000,"nhelper delete ""%11%\nhelper.exe"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_03",0x00000000,"nhelper net1 accounts /maxpwage:unlimited"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlite_post_04",0x00000000,"nhelper net1 user """"Captain"""" /passwordreq:no"

But like I said everytime I run the disk the windows tour and msn messager still runs and installs, So can some one please help me remove these two items from my disk. I found this reg code to remove the tour but have no idea where to put it

;Deactivate Windows Tour
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour]
"RunCount"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour]
"RunCount"=dword:00000000

Any help would be great

JayDogg, please don't chop up your Last Session and paste it in the forum. After you have attached (no pasted) your Last Session, we can take a look and possibly help. I suspect (site unseen) that you have run nLite multiple time against the same source and this often leads to unpredictable results. So, I will leave you with my standard advice: Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

what folder... my install disk is about 4 gig with the $OME$ folder and the driver and stuff... is there a place\file I can add some reg tweaks to get rid of the tour and msn messager

Sorry, you didn`t tell us about your $OEM$-Folder.

When you start right from the beginning (wittout any OEM-Stuff)

your XPCD-Folder should be about 588mb (~ original size of XP-SP3).

After run nLite with your "Last Session.ini" it should be smaller, about 563mb (~ 19mb removed).

Edited by g-force

JayDogg, sorry, I did not see where you attached your complete Last Session. Do you mean in another thread? You can run a .reg file from RunOnce in Unattended section. The code you showed is part of a .reg file and needs this in front:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Note blank line after this line and at the end of the file. However, you should not have to do this. I remove both Tour and Windows Messenger and have neither after install. That raises two questions in my mind: Where did your source come from and what are the AddOns and Update Packs doing to you. Assuming you are really starting with a really fresh, legal and valid copy of Windows, I suggest you strip out all that is in your hot fix section and let us know the results. Enjoy, John.

Dear johnhc I thought about adding the reg file to the RunOnce but the RunOnce doesnt run till after the tour on the first start up... doing me no good. There must be a place I can add the reg tweaks to get loaded before the tour loads.

O and yes I have a legal and valid copy of Windows I ripped the disk to my hard drive I think it had server pack one on it, and the sp3 I download from windows, The stuff in the $OME$ folder is everything from my Doc and Pics, work stuff and a bunch of stand alone free ware programs I use like CCleaner and so on.

Dear johnhc I thought about adding the reg file to the RunOnce but the RunOnce doesnt run till after the tour on the first start up... doing me no good. There must be a place I can add the reg tweaks to get loaded before the tour loads.

Runonce runs before the desktop loads. You should be able to add the tweak there.

JayDogg, I still comment that you should not need the Registry tweaks, but you can add the necessary commands to the nLite.inf before you cut an ISO. I use Reg2Inf, found here, to convert the .reg to .inf format. Are you not willing to run an experiment, removing all your hot fixes? Enjoy, John.

Yes but the tour runs before the desktop loads too and the tour runs before the RUNONCE runs so that is not going to help me.

I would figure out why tour is not being removed like others have mentioned but we must be talking about different things. I'm taking about the balloon that pops up in the notification area when you first install XP. The notification area or systray is part of the desktop and runonce runs before you get there...at least for me.

The problem is I told Nlite to take out the tour and it thinks it did but the tour still starts up when I do an Install... Im looking for a quick fix I dont really want to start fresh and remove all the addons and updates and hotfixes... there must be file where all the reg files get added during the install. I could just add the reg tweaks to that file.... if anyone knows what file add the all the regs it would be a big help also I would need to know the reg tweak to remove msn messager also