Integrating Drivers to mutiple computers

Henrique-S

Hello everybody!

I'm new here and I'd like to thank you all for contributing in this and other topics, it help us a lot :thumbup

I have 5 computers at home and I'd like to create a X86 XP SP3 Cd for these computers. In this Cd I'd like to include the Chipset, Sata, Raid and maybe Network drivers so it makes me possible to reduce the general work I do have with these PCs.

The needed things for me should be:

· Service Pack Integration

· Hotfixes Integration

· Driver Integration (if still possible to Intel's and Nvidia's motherboards within ONE CD)

· Component Removal

· Tweaks, mainly at the 'services' (Run > services.msc)

· Things like .Net / DX / VB run-time / Ie 8 (if possible)

· Bootable ISO creation

:D

Index of questions:

A.) How to proceed so I can integrate the drivers to the Cd? Should I do this: Create folders and subfolders and include the needed X86 .INF drivers into them...

B.) Should I then, select the option "Folder with several drivers" or "One driver" option?

C.) There are some drivers that don't have a TXTSetup.oem inside the drivers folder even when I extract or try to copy from %temp% folder through setup. Do I need it since there is the .INF file?

D.) What should I do so I don't have some TXTSetup.oem? The Motherboards are...

E.) Can I just integrate the drivers I included in that folders and just "clic next"?

F.) What about that option "Delete after install", what is that for? Should I select it?

G.) Can't I include the Intel's, Nvidia's and Network's drivers in the Drivers Page of nLite? (I mean, click the option "Folder with multiple drivers" and selectiong the .INF file(s) on each folder and selecting everithing that it shows me since it is X86 based drivers.)

H.) What will happen if I do it? (And what about the Network drivers, all their folders does contain an TXTSetup.oem. So can I or can't I click the .INF files and get them installed/working during the XP instalation?)

I.) With "the other drivers can be placed in nLite at the same time" you mean that drivers that does not contain an TXTSetup.oem file inside their extracted folder?

J.) Can I place them with the "Folder with multiple drivers" option like Fernando explained before, even if this folder contain a TXTSetup.oem inside? Should I do something else to get things to work properly?

K.) Please, have a look at this info above and... What is the diference between Intel® Matrix Storage Manager and Intel® Matrix Storage Technology since its download pages show us diferent files to download? Which one do I need, both?

L.) I've got an error saying that I should have at least SP1 installed to install the XP Service Pack 3. Right... But, should I need to slipstream the Service pack 1 before the Service Pack 3? Does the SP3 contain everything from SP1 and SP2 so we don't need to get them installed before we install or slipstream the SP3?

M.) Could you, contributors, give some advices about a "good sequence", about steps to follow in slipstreaming a x86 XP Pro? I mean, is there some things we could follow so we can get a fully working CD?

N.) Isn't there a way to download the files that Windows Update Center presented me so I can get the files in an organized manner like the Windows Update Downloader does? Please, if someone know how to do it, I'd be very glad if you could explain how to...

O.) If there is a way to do it, Isn't it better to us all to download from this way so we can always get the latest version of the updates? Any advices or observations on this?

This list is going to updated frequently, so you can get what you want easily...

===============================================================================

A.) How to proceed so I can integrate the drivers to the Cd? Should I do this:

Create folders and subfolders and include the needed X86 .INF drivers into them...

1.0 - Drivers

........2.0 - Mobo1

................3.0 - Chipset

................3.1 - Sata

................3.2 - Raid

................3.3 - Network

........2.1 - Mobo2

................3.0 - Chipset

................3.1 - Sata

................3.2 - Raid

................3.3 - Network

B.) Should I then, select the option "Folder with several drivers" or "One driver" option?
C.) There are some drivers that don't have a TXTSetup.oem inside the drivers folder even when I extract or try to copy from %temp% folder through setup. Do I need it since there is the .INF file?
D.) What should I do so I don't have some TXTSetup.oem? The Motherboards are:

Asus P5Q Deluxe (2 PCs - Intel Chipset)

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=esOE5RDJVEmQI86w

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 (1 PC - Intel Chipset)

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iRlP...&templete=2

Asus P5N-T Deluxe (1 PC - Nvidia Chipset)

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=64sh...&templete=2

Toshiba S300-S2503 (1 Pc - Satellite Pro)

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satelli...S300/S300-S2503

E.) Can I just integrate the drivers I included in that folders and just "clic next"?
F.) What about that option "Delete after install", what is that for? Should I select it?

And again, thank you people!

Edit.

I'm using the latest version of nLite (1.4.9.1) and the x86 XP Pro SP3 to work on this.

Edited by Henrique-S

Henrique-S, welcome. The txtsetup.oem is just for the text mode drivers (F6). Unfortunately you cannot place multiple version of these drivers on your CD. For text mode drivers, only the last one that gets there is installed in the text mode on Windows. This is the very first phase on install. So at least the CD will need to be personalized for each machine, if they use different text mode drivers. All the other drivers can be placed in nLite at the same time. The folder structure on the machine you use to run nLite is up to you - whatever works for you is OK. You can place all drivers for all machines in the Drivers section. These drivers are sorted by Windows according to IDs specific to the HW not just the HW type as text mode drivers are. You use the single or multiple driver selection according to whether there are one or more .inf files in a folder. You can always use single and just select each .inf. The delete Option is again up to you. It will delete the NLDRV folder from your Windows folder after the drivers are installed. It might be useful considering that you will have multiple chip set etc drivers. Hope this helps. Enjoy, John.

Great forum! Questions are quickly answered. I've researched a lot of things about nLite so I could get the things as clear as mud :unsure:

The more we study, the more we don't know. But yes, we are getting things a bit sharp. Thank you!

A.) How to proceed so I can integrate the drivers to the Cd?

So nLite doesn't care about folder structure you create to integrate the drivers. Is it this?

nLite doesn't care about you to chosse a folder with several or only one driver, since you choose the right one you need to agregate. Right?

I still don't understand it. Do I have to integrate the TXTSetup.oem file to get my hardware working (chipset/sata/raid)? Can't I integrate Intel's and Nvidia's together into the Cd?

D.) What should I do so I don't have some TXTSetup.oem?

I still don't understand it too. See above.

Right. Since I select the drivers I need and it don't present compatibility problems, I can go to next step no matter if I selected 2 or 25 drivers. Is it?

So, if I select "Delete after install" the NLDRV folder will be deleted af I get the XP installed. But why should I keep this folder anyway? Is this folder needed for something?

Thank you again guys

Henrique-S, I guess we can do this for awhile, but here:

A)The folder structure on the machine is your choice, so yes.

B)If a folder has multiple .inf files and you want to include them all, then choose multiple. If only one or you do not want all the drivers in a folder, then choose single and select the one you want.

C)Windows install has two modes or phases. The first is called text mode (no graphics) and all it does is copy some drivers from the CD to memory and ask you what partition to use and how to format it. Since XP does not have drivers for RAID or SATA attached drives, you must include these. Windows allows pressing F6 to include these drivers, but nLite allows you to place them on the CD (in the NLDRV folder) and automatically load them during text mode. The driver folder for these text mode drivers will contain the txtsetup.oem file. Drivers that are used during running of Windows do not have these txtsetup.oem files. After text mode comes GUI mode (graphics) and this is when the OS is installed and drivers are installed.

D)See Above.

E)Only one text mode driver for a particular machine is allowed unless several machines have the same RAID or SATA controller. If none of your machines has either SATA or RAID controllers (or you don't use them), then you do not need any text mode drivers. Most current machines have at least SATA controllers and HDDs.

F)I leave it around for future reference. I can manually delete it later if I like.

More questions? Here is my standard advice when you have a problem: Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

@ Henrique-S:

Here are the AHCI/RAID textmode drivers you will need to integrate into the Windows XP CD:

1. 32bit Intel textmode driver v8.9.0.1023 WHQL
    This driver will work with all your computers except the Asus P5N-T Deluxe.
    When you get the textmode driver popup, you should choose all listed ICH9 and ICH10 SATA AHCI and RAID Controllers. For further details you may look here.
  2. 32bit nForce SATARAID drivers v10.3.0.46 (only for RAID systems) or
    32bit nForce SATA_IDE driver v10.3.0.46 (only for AHCI systems)
    These drivers are suitable for your ASUS P5N-T Deluxe machine. Depending on the SATA Mode (AHCI or RAID) of your hdd(s) you may integrate the suitable driver. For further details you may look into this guide.

And here are the chipset drivers you may additionally integrate as PnP drivers:

1. Intel's chipset device "drivers" v9.1.1.1014 (WHQL)
    Just unzip and integrate the prepared small package as PnP driver (point at any INF file, it doesn't matter which one).
  2. NVIDIA's official nForce chipset driverpack 15.24 (WHQL)
    Unzip and integrate the different nForce chipset driver folders you will need (Ethernet, SMBus etc.). Choose the "multiple driver" option.

It would be a good idea to create 2 different XP CD's with integrated drivers, one for the computers with an Intel chipset and the other for the NVIDIA chipset system. This way you can avoid the problem with any integrated "wrong" textmode driver.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Right. I'm becoming an expert in nLite... Thanks for the patience and great explanations John, Fernando, and forum contributors. This is just a matter of days for me to become a geek - maybe some 900 days. Fortunately we can count on great techers around here :thumbup

The txtsetup.oem is just for the text mode drivers (F6). Unfortunately you cannot place multiple version of these drivers on your CD. For text mode drivers, only the last one that gets there is installed in the text mode on Windows. This is the very first phase on install.

Windows install has two modes or phases. The first is called text mode (no graphics) and all it does is copy some drivers from the CD to memory and ask you what partition to use and how to format it. Since XP does not have drivers for RAID or SATA attached drives, you must include these. Windows allows pressing F6 to include these drivers, but nLite allows you to place them on the CD (in the NLDRV folder) and automatically load them during text mode. The driver folder for these text mode drivers will contain the txtsetup.oem file.

Looking at my drivers folder, in general I see an TXTSetup.oem for (inside folder):

• (Intel) Matrix Storage Manager Driver
  • (Intel) AHCIx
  • (Nvidia) nForce Serial ATA Controller
  • (Nvidia) RAID host controller
  • And I see an TXTSetup.oem for Network drivers

Edit.

Here is a picture:

txtsetupoempicture.jpg

So, help me understanding it:

G.) Can't I include the Intel's, Nvidia's and Network's drivers in the Drivers Page of nLite?

I mean, click the option "Folder with multiple drivers" and selectiong the .INF file(s) on each folder and selecting everithing that it shows me since it is X86 based drivers.

H.) What will happen if I do it?

And what about the Network drivers, all their folders does contain an TXTSetup.oem. So can I or can't I click the .INF files and get them installed/working during the XP instalation?

This kind of things is complicated for me to understand since most of the folders does have a TXTSetup.oem file.

All the other drivers can be placed in nLite at the same time. You can place all drivers for all machines in the Drivers section. These drivers are sorted by Windows according to IDs specific to the HW not just the HW type as text mode drivers are.

Drivers that are used during running of Windows do not have these txtsetup.oem files. After text mode comes GUI mode (graphics) and this is when the OS is installed and drivers are installed.

I.) With "the other drivers can be placed in nLite at the same time" you mean that drivers that does not contain an TXTSetup.oem file inside their extracted folder?

Please, explain a bit more it if possible.

Thank you for contributing with the progress of us all!

post-250777-1247347027_thumb.png

Edited by Henrique-S

1. Network drivers do not have a TXTSETUP.OEM file. Only Mass Storage Controller drivers have it.

2. Do what I have written and you will succeed.

The only driver I didn't mention was the Network Controller driver for your Intel chipset computers.

The both desktop pcs will need the Marvell Ethernet drivers and the Toshiba the Intel one you can get here.

I'm reading the Intel's and Nvidia's topics. Great ones Fernando... It's very helpfull!

I really would like to understand it all if possible and I promisse you I won't take you those 900 days!

John, Fernando, other members, could you help on this Post #6, please?

I uploaded a picture for better understanding.

I really apreciate your help and explanation. Thank you...

Edited by Henrique-S

Looking at my drivers folder, in general I see an TXTSetup.oem for (inside folder):

• (Intel) Matrix Storage Manager Driver
  • (Intel) AHCIx
  • (Nvidia) nForce Serial ATA Controller
  • (Nvidia) RAID host controller
  • And I see an TXTSetup.oem for Network drivers

Edit.

Here is a picture:

As I already have written, no Network Controller driver needs or uses a TXTSETUP.OEM file. If you see such file within a Marvell driver package, it is for a Marvell SATA Controller driver, but not for a Marvell Network Controller driver. So you have to integrate any Network Controller driver by choosing the "PnP Mode" instead of the "TEXTMODE" option.
G.) Can't I include the Intel's, Nvidia's and Network's drivers in the Drivers Page of nLite?I mean, click the option "Folder with multiple drivers" and selectiong the .INF file(s) on each folder and selecting everithing that it shows me since it is X86 based drivers.
You may do it like this, but you will get more drivers and unneeded files onto your nLited CD than needed. The only driverpack which should be used with the "Multiple Driver" option, is the nForce chipset driverpack.
H.) What will happen if I do it?

And what about the Network drivers, all their folders does contain an TXTSetup.oem. So can I or can't I click the .INF files and get them installed/working during the XP instalation?

Forget those TXTSETUP.OEM files, because the Ethernet drivers do not need them. Furthermore nLite doesn't show them at all. You just have to pick any INF file and nLite will copy all files and subfolders of the directory where you have hit the INF file.
I think, that this is what johnhc meant.

Henrique-S, I do not understand why the non-text mode drivers have a txtsetup.oem file in them. They should not. I suspect you have separated the files/folders and left this file behind. All the drivers are placed into the nLite Drivers section. You don't place them in the copied CD source folder, nLite does. You just tell nLite where to find the .inf files. I think you need to play with nLite. I played with it for several days doing one section then another. Yes you can place all the non-text mode drivers together with nLite in the Drivers section. Fernando 1 is the driver expert here, so please do what he suggests and you will be fine. If you still do not understand and still want to use the drivers you have found, please post a link to where you got them and we will tell you how to extract them and make the necessary folders. I do think if you play some you will learn the ropes. Enjoy, John.

First I'd like to thank you all for contributing...

Henrique-S, I do not understand why the non-text mode drivers have a txtsetup.oem file in them. They should not. I suspect you have separated the files/folders and left this file behind.

If you can't understand, please, try to imagine if can I. I just unzipped the files from original sources, and for those drivers folder that do contain an TXTSetup.oem but couldn't get the files through 'unzip' process, I just got them hitting the 'setup' and then copying the files from the %temp% folder of the XP operating system. And there is another drivers that does contain TXTSetup.oem files inside them.

I don't understand any of these things of TXTSetup.oem

All the drivers are placed into the nLite Drivers section. You don't place them in the copied CD source folder, nLite does. You just tell nLite where to find the .inf files. I think you need to play with nLite. I played with it for several days doing one section then another.

I'm just organizing the things here before try to get XP SP3 Cd with nLite v1.4.9.1. So I didn't placed files in the copied CD source folder.

Yes you can place all the non-text mode drivers together with nLite in the Drivers section.

J.) Can I place them with the "Folder with multiple drivers" option like Fernando explained before, even if this folder contain a TXTSetup.oem inside? Should I do something else to get things to work properly?

Fernando 1 is the driver expert here, so please do what he suggests and you will be fine. If you still do not understand and still want to use the drivers you have found, please post a link to where you got them and we will tell you how to extract them and make the necessary folders. I do think if you play some you will learn the ropes. Enjoy, John.

I have downloaded the files through the manufacturer website, hitting the download page and selecting the XP x86 like in this page:

P5Q Deluxe

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=esOE5RDJVEmQI86w

:thumbup

@ Henrique-S:

The drivers, which are presented by ASUS are not actual and often not designed for being integrated into an OS CD.

Since not the manufacturer of the mainboard (example: ASUS), but the manufacturer of the on board chips (example: Marvell) are the developers of the needed drivers, it is a good idea to have a look into the driver page of the latter company.

Here is the link to the newest Marvell Network Controller driver for Windows XP: http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?driverId=202

As you will see after the extraction, there is no TXTSETUP.OEM file.

Henrique-S, I DLed a bunch of the drivers from the ASUS link you provided and found only two txtsetup.oem files. They were in the SATA mass storage drivers. None of the normal drivers had txtsetup.oem files. Stick with Fernando 1's advice and you will be good to go. Enjoy, John.