how to watch folder for new files and print them automatically

zsero

I need to setup a printer on 64-bit XP workstations where the printer does not have 64-bit drivers. It is a Sharp AR-M165 laser copier which doesn't have any standard print processor, just it's proprietary SPLC raster language, for which I cannot find any 64-bit driver. Maybe there are newer Sharp SPLC printers for which there is 64-bit driver available, but I couldn't find any. If you know any way to make an SPLC printer work under XP 64-bit, I would be happy to use it, but if not, I need to look for alternatives.

One alternative I figured out is that the workstations can print to a PDF file and save that file in a specific folder on the server. The server (Win2003) can then automatically watch the folder for any change and print the copied files locally in 32-bit environment. I found a shareware called watchDirectory, which does that, but I would like to use small and free programs. My idea is that if I can find a command line watch-dir program, I could use it to call a bat file with %1 filename. The bat file would print from acrobat reader and delete the file when completed. Or delete the file when it's a day old.

So I am looking a watch-dir program which is small and free (something from ss64.com for example), and a batch file or vbs which can print and delete a PDF file. Or a simple vbs file which does all that. Or a way to use an SPLC printer under XP 64-bit.

Edited by zsero

You can also consider scripting a program to do this. One example would be AutoIT. Not sure if KIX can do that. You'd just have to make sure that you move the file to another folder after printing. You wouldn't want to delete it, because if the printer was out of paper you'd be hosed.

I just solved the issue by googling hard for any SPLC driver and finally I found one for x64 XP/Vista which is not for the same printer but it works. So it was a straightforward solution, I am happy I could solve it without scripting. But yes, an AutoIT script would have been a good idea.