Give the system drive a name

stevemet

I have tried to find an answer in all forums but have failed...perhapes using the wrong search words !

My question is : How do I name the installation drive ?

For example : My installation dive is C: Its name (after install using Nlite) is :"" (yep nothing)

I would like to call it "My Disk" (obvisiously not but for the purpose of this excorsise)

How do I name the C: drive during installation ? Do I have to create a .bat file to do so from the runonce command ?

This seems to be me the only answer that I can come up with as I can not find an answer let alone the same question

I am asking anywhere...

Look forward to ANY advice offered.

regards Steve.

stevemet, great idea - have stuck a batch call into my RunOnce file. BTW, the label can be up to 32 characters for NTFS volumes and contain many special characters that the FATS restricts. Please see the Help and Support on Label. Thanks, John.

stevemet, great idea - have stuck a batch call into my RunOnce file. BTW, the label can be up to 32 characters for NTFS volumes and contain many special characters that the FATS restricts. Please see the Help and Support on Label. Thanks, John.

Or here ;):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490925.aspx

Limitations on volume label names

A volume label can contain as many as 32 characters for NTFS volumes and as many as 11 characters for FAT volumes and can include spaces but no tabs.

FAT volume labels cannot contain any of the following characters:

* ? / \ | . , ; : + = [ ] < > "

This limitation does not apply to NTFS volumes.

For FAT volumes, volume labels are stored as uppercase regardless of whether they contain lowercase letters. NTFS volume labels retain and display the case used when the label was created.

Rather obviously using any of the "normally no-no" characters is generally speaking not a very good idea, as they will probably result as being incompatible with many batches/tools that only provide for "OLD" limited set of characters.

Particularly, in the batch assigning the name to the volume, if I am not mistaken, at least these:

| < >

will need to be escaped with:

^

jaclaz