What affects the Windows GUIBOOT loading bar time?

AGlobalThreatsK

Im trying to decrease my boot time, it's currently at 30 seconds with a Patriot V2 SSD and also at 30 seconds with an OCZ Vertex.

The GUIBoot is taking up almost 1/3 of that boot time. I currently have the GUIBoot turned off to save another second or two, however when it's not disabled I see the loading bar go across anywhere from 3(Rare)-4.5(Average 4) times, and then the desktop pops up. I've tried IDE mode and AHCI mode, IDE mode was much slower and I saw the loading bar go across 7+ times, boot time was terrible compared to AHCI mode.

This is in a Gateway P7801u, upgraded to a 3GHz T9900 Core2Duo, utilizing 4 GB(3GB XPx86) of 1066MHz DDR3 RAM. I'm using external devices (Monitor/keyboard/mouse/heapdhones/cooler) although the boot time seems unaffected when the devices are unplugged. I am using a very stripped down version of XP that I made with nlite, it is slipstreamed with SATA drivers, WMP11 and IE7. When my drivers and XP are installed with my programs on a different partition I have about 540MB used (Paging file disabled).

Now the part that confuses me, when I use this same disk on desktops with worse hardware, the GUIBoot loads MUCH quicker. A single core AMD 64 with a regular SATA HDD shows the bar go across about 1 time, and a Q6600 with an OCZ Core V2 SSD and 2GB of 800MHZ DDR2 that I setup is about the same (1 time), although at times the bar hasnt even gone across one whole time.

All the SSDs are using Hyperfast from Diskeeper to improve the desktop loading time (Without it the desktop seems to delay). On the desktop with the Core SSD, the user said that hyperfast also improved the GUIBoot time. He said the bar would go across several times, but after using Hyperfast it was back to an average of 1 bar going across and that's it.

I also have another computer with a Q6700 and an OCZ Solid SSD, it is NOT using Hyperfast, however it boots EXTREMELY quick, sometimes the GUIBoot doesn't even show the bar going across one whole time. Desktop is instant, EWF made it even moreso although it was basically instant before EWF anyways.

So I'm basically asking, what controls the length of time the GUIBoot is shown?

I have changed RAM latencies before and seen a drastic improvement in GUIBoot time, so is it mainly affected by RAM? Is it affected by the Windows installation? The software and services that are installed and in use? I've t hought about making a SSD Raid 0 but am unsure whether that would improve the GUIBoot time at all.

The main point is that I want to boot quicker, I have searched online for ways to find how to make the GUIBoot load faster, although EVERY result I have found simply says to turn off the GUIBoot. That barely affects the amount of time, but I figured since most of the people here are XP XPerts we could come up with a way to make it load quicker. The GUIBoot is the weak link in my boot time, I'm curious what it is doing that is taking so long, and how I can improve it. I'm willing to try anything (Even thinking about making a tweaked to hell XP SP0 to try), please share any experience you've had with this or any help or input that pertains to this topic.

Thank you

Edited by AGlobalThreatsK

Tampering with, disabling, or even removing the prefetcher to 'increase performance' is a myth. It's an urban legend that will never die I guess. :ph34r:

what controls the length of time the GUIBoot is shown?

It simply depends on the hardware it runs on; to be more specific, the amount of devices the windows kernel has to detect at boot time.

Did you even bother to read the link I provided? An SSD doesn't change how the OS behaves. The OS will be doing exactly the same thing it did before, it just saves the prefetch pages to a different file....

Edited by beats

Did you even bother to read the link I provided? An SSD doesn't change how the OS behaves. The OS will be doing exactly the same thing it did before, it just saves the prefetch pages to a different file....

Ive read that link before, and I didn't need to read it again.

Id really like to know how you think prefetch is still benefitial for SSDs that have an access time of .1 ms. Please explain how it will help me, and improve my OS.

It simply depends on the hardware it runs on; to be more specific, the amount of devices the windows kernel has to detect at boot time.

Then why doesn't the boot time change when I unplug 6 devices?

Edited by AGlobalThreatsK