turning off DVD seeking

Asp

I have mechanical problems with my DVD drive, it often takes many "ejects" before the tray actually comes out.

So I have a script that runs a soft eject 100 times when I need to change disks.

However, this is slowed down as after a failed eject, Windows (Win2k) thinks there is a new disk inserted, and spins it up to read it for several seconds, before stopping and allowing the next eject attempt.

Is there a way I can disable this? Preferably reversible, but I could live with it being off permanently.

Edited by Asp

I don't think it is the OS that does that. :unsure:

It is usually a feature of the drive, when you insert a disk (read when you close the tray) it spins briefly to check if a media is loaded, if it finds it continues spinning, if it doesn't find one it stops soon after.

JFYI, out of say, 20 Cd/DVD drives that had "mechanical problems" opening/closing the tray, 19 were fixed by simply thouroughly cleaning the mechanics and reapplying a very small quantity of an appropriate lubricant/grease.

What I normally use (this is not advertising, just a report) is "Super Lube" a synthetic grease with Syncolon (read PTFE or teflon).

jaclaz

I don't think it is the OS that does that. :unsure:

It is usually a feature of the drive, when you insert a disk (read when you close the tray) it spins briefly to check if a media is loaded, if it finds it continues spinning, if it doesn't find one it stops soon after.

I'm pretty sure this is coming from Windows, I think related to autorun (though I have deactivated that).

Anyway, I'll see if any other opinions surface.

JFYI, out of say, 20 Cd/DVD drives that had "mechanical problems" opening/closing the tray, 19 were fixed by simply thouroughly cleaning the mechanics and reapplying a very small quantity of an appropriate lubricant/grease.

What I normally use (this is not advertising, just a report) is "Super Lube" a synthetic grease with Syncolon (read PTFE or teflon).

The problem is due to my not following the spec, by putting the drive vertical instead of horizontal. If I turn the PC 90 degrees, the disk ejects easily enough. But it won't fit into my desk like that.

It worked fine for a few months until it started to stick on eject. Once the disk is in it plays or burns fine.

Maybe I'll try to lube it though: Where exactly?

Edited by Asp

I'm pretty sure this is coming from Windows, I think related to autorun (though I have deactivated that)

Try booting from a DOS floppy and see if the behaviour is the same.

FYI:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm#cdstupseq

Maybe I'll try to lube it though: Where exactly?

Usually it's the sides of the tray clogged with dust (attached to the lube that it's already there, put in factory).

Another point is the gear rack (rarely this is the cause).

Yet another point is the "latch" that initiates the tray movement on some models.

The accent is more on "cleaning" than on "lubricating":

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cdfaq4.html#CDFAQ_027

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cdfaq4.html#CDFAQ_028

Clean plastic/nylon parts is usually smooth enough/has very low friction.

A VERY SMALL quantity of clean silicon/synthetic grease may help.

Grease/oil clogged with dust can jam everything.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz