DVD ROM Problem Machine Hangs

I inserted a DVD in the DVD ROM drive on a HP Proliant server and the machine stopped responding. Even couldn't take the DVD out of the drive. Didn't respond to eject button. I had to turn it off to shutdowon and managed to take the disk out while boot up sequence.

The event viewer shows "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0" error.

This same DVD drive was used to install many softwares last year.

I tried the same DVD in another DVD drive on another similar HP proliant server and didn't have any problem on that machine.

Any idea what is wrong with this particular machine/ DVD drive now!

Thanks

Sounds like you may have just had a bad connection or cable. Have you tried putting the drive back into the original system?

Edited by spiff

Cable could be a problem, but I think it's the drive it self that is un able to read from the disc and locking/slowing down the system. Replacing is cheap any way (I presume it's ATA and this is why it slows down the system).

I inserted a DVD in the DVD ROM drive on a HP Proliant server and the machine stopped responding. Even couldn't take the DVD out of the drive. Didn't respond to eject button. I had to turn it off to shutdowon and managed to take the disk out while boot up sequence.

The event viewer shows "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0" error.

This same DVD drive was used to install many softwares last year.

I tried the same DVD in another DVD drive on another similar HP proliant server and didn't have any problem on that machine.

Any idea what is wrong with this particular machine/ DVD drive now!

Thanks

Likely a damaged or dirty DVD. Windows may log those errors when it just has trouble reading a DVD!