Video playback problem using any media player

Jorolat

Hi ya,

This problem only applies to videos stored on my computer and is common to Windows Media Player and Realplayer:

A video will run for 17 seconds or so, but without any sound. It then stops and the media player freezes and starts using 100% CPU time.

If I watch something on YouTube, on the other hand, everything is OK.

I'm not very knowledgeable about these things and would appreciate any help!

I'm using Windows XP Home.

Youtube is totally different than Media Player. Youtube is not really a movie player but a Flash player. Its not a good comparison tool at all. Also using RealPlayer vs WMP isn't a good start either. Try using another bonafide video player such as Winamp, Divx Player, etc.

Also what codecs do you have? You may have either an outdated one, or have installed something in the wrong order.

Youtube is totally different than Media Player. Youtube is not really a movie player but a Flash player. Its not a good comparison tool at all. Also using RealPlayer vs WMP isn't a good start either. Try using another bonafide video player such as Winamp, Divx Player, etc.

Also what codecs do you have? You may have either an outdated one, or have installed something in the wrong order.

Thanks for replying, Tripredacus :)

I knew YouTube is different, but I included info about it thinking it indicated my sound and video cards were ok.

I've just tried the DivX Player and the results are the same: 17 secs of video then the frame freezes, no sound at all, and CPU usage goes up to 100%.

I don't know what codecs I use: Windows MP says, "Codec Acquired" before it starts and thats it. A few years ago, I was told when I had a codec problem (a different situation entirely), but there's no error message this time.

I just realized I installed and then uninstalled "Kate's Video Cutter" around about the time the problem first appeared.

I've just done it again and during installation it say, "Windows Media Format 9 Runtime Files" will be installed.

If this has caused the problem then I'm not sure how to rectify it - uninstalling KVC didn't cure anything.

Help, please?