got an evil driver problem

itachis.eyes

ok i have IDT audio drivers (i'm assuming thats who made my speakers since it was the driver that came with the computer when i bought it) and as it turns out my drivers are out dated meaning my speakers don't work. now upon investigating i found out that actually my drivers are the newest for those speakers because IDT stopped making drivers...lovely

i was wondering what if any brand of drivers might work on different speakers...are there generic speaker drivers?

thanks

There is no such thing as "speakers driver". There is a generic "speaker driver" but what you probably refer to is your sound card driver.

Any info about what your computer is, what Operating system you are using now and what exactly you mean by "it turns out my drivers are out dated" is welcome. Maybe you mean that your computer came with an older OS and you try to install... ?

There is no such thing as "speakers driver". There is a generic "speaker driver" but what you probably refer to is your sound card driver.

Any info about what your computer is, what Operating system you are using now and what exactly you mean by "it turns out my drivers are out dated" is welcome. Maybe you mean that your computer came with an older OS and you try to install... ?

ok well let me explain the whole "speaker driver" thing (sorry XD)...thing is the speakers don't work head phones do work and when i reinstall the old drivers the speakers work until i reboot so it can't be hardware failure...i've checked and ruled out any conflicting programs as a reason

and i am running Windows Home Premium amd64 dual booted with Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope amd64 (9.04) (and i have also checked to make sure that it was not a result of the dual boot)

an interesting tidbit...i installed Ubuntu on a different hard drive on a different computer and booted from that on the computer with issues...sound worked fine.

the computer itself is a newer model "HP pavilion dv4-1155se" (purchased this past Christmas) however i have heard about other non-related issues that were the result of "buggy" firmware...a possibility here :wacko:

about the drivers being out dated....i asked some one else (no one here) for help and they told me it was because the drivers where old...drivers are one of my short comings to computers, i'm no better then anyone's grandma and a computer when it comes to drivers, so besides hardware issues, and conflicting software i can't think of any other causes

Edited by itachis.eyes

thing is the speakers don't work head phones do work and when i reinstall the old drivers the speakers work

I take it that they are plugged in different outputs.

Your processor being fairly new and IDT still making (other sound cards?) drivers in 2008, I doubt your driver is outdated or not working with an OS that came out in 2001. Unless the problem comes from SP2 or SP3, it looks like a configuration problem to me (sound level/muted /unable/disable/...?).

thing is the speakers don't work head phones do work and when i reinstall the old drivers the speakers work

I take it that they are plugged in different outputs.

Your processor being fairly new and IDT still making (other sound cards?) drivers in 2008, I doubt your driver is outdated or not working with an OS that came out in 2001. Unless the problem comes from SP2 or SP3, it looks like a configuration problem to me (sound level/muted /unable/disable/...?).

well it was happening before all of the service packs where installed...and i'm sure it can't be a configuration issue, that was the first thing i checked...i can live without speakers, its just annoying to think that something so seemingly simple can't be fixed in an easy way. "grrr" well if there is any other information i could give you to help please let me know. i'm going to try "toying" with it to see if i can get it to work

I recommend you try install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or higher, then reinstall the IDT software. A current example is that IDT onboard audio is on the Intel DQ45CB, but it won't install everything/properly/work properly unless you install the aforementioned update. The standard installer tells you this but won't stop you from installing it. And in some cases, not everything works, like certain DirectSound, or say Front Panel Audio (AC97 or HD) but it seems random at least.

I recommend you try install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or higher, then reinstall the IDT software. A current example is that IDT onboard audio is on the Intel DQ45CB, but it won't install everything/properly/work properly unless you install the aforementioned update. The standard installer tells you this but won't stop you from installing it. And in some cases, not everything works, like certain DirectSound, or say Front Panel Audio (AC97 or HD) but it seems random at least.

well i just downloaded and installed service pack 2 and everything seems to be working, thanks.