TCP latency setting? I broke it.

ddrueding

Somewhere in the setup, there was an advanced setting that set something related to TCP to 1. It said it was only good on fast networks, and provided really fast something, so I picked it. Now everything is timing out sporadically, so I'm guessing my network isn't fast enough.

Unfortunately, I can't find what the setting was and how to fix it. I've been Googling all night, but it is hard to search for something when you don't know what it is.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

ddrueding, if the suggestion by mara- does not deal with your problem, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini and we will take a look. It can be found on your install CD. Enjoy, John.

This is the setting I thought it was. I reset the items using regedit and rebooted; it is much faster, but it is still slower than it should be. Several seconds to bring up a network share. Still hunting for other items...

In case anyone is wondering, here is the spec...OS is XPx64.

i7EE@4Ghz, 12GB RAM@1600MHz, 2x120GB OCZ Vertex,2x32GB X25-E, 3x300GB VelociRaptor, GTX295, 8500GT, Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme, Antec P-183, Antec CP-850

Thanks for your help so far!

In addition to the settings that are referenced in the thread by GrofLuigi, it also changes "Class" to 1 (default is 8). That helped a bit as well, but the identical machine running a standard build of XPx64 right next to it is still 3-5x faster.

Any more advice is appreciated.

Resolved. I have been doing the IT thing for a long time, and this is the first time I have found a network cable that negatively effects performance while still showing as connected, negotiating a DHCP'd IP address, never timing out a PING, and not connecting at 10mbps. Thanks again!

ddrueding, I use a tool called TCPOptimizer (Google knows all about them) to tune my Internet connection. It mainly adjusts the receive buffer size (RWIN - Receive WINdow), which is important for fast connections. My RWIN is set to 347,480 Bytes (default 65,535) and my Roadrunner connection runs up to 30 Mbs. Following are my settings for the key posted by GrofLuigi. Enjoy, John.

; Reg2Inf v0.46 - http://tinyurl.com/fgqyf
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider","Class",0x10001,08,00,00,00
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider","DnsPriority",0x10001,03,00,00,00
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider","HostsPriority",0x10001,02,00,00,00
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider","LocalPriority",0x10001,01,00,00,00
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider","ProviderPath",0x20000,"%%SystemRoot%%\System32\wsock32.dll"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider","NetbtPriority",0x10001,04,00,00,00
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider","Name",0x0,"TCP/IP"