File Protection

medicsix

When I pull a hard drive out of a dead computer and hook it up to my main computer with the goal of retrieving files I sometimes find if they put a password on their files and choose to protect the files I can not access the files to save them, Has anyone run into this and found a way around it. Even if you delete the password it does not remove the protection.

Sorry I don't get it. :unsure:

Would you expect that a password protection of any kind can be worked around by "deleting" the password"?

Or would you want a prompt saying something like:

Please input password (or just press enter to access the file anyway)

:w00t:

Of course a password protection is VERY difficult to work around (if possible at all) in a reasonable time.

There are a several TENS of ways/programs to password protect a file, or are you talking about Filesystem protection?

You need to be more specific, giving a detailed example.

jaclaz

Ok, Hope this helps, When you set up a new account after you choose the name and security level(Admin) it then asks you if you want to protect your files too, Here in lies the problem, After you go in and remove the password the file protection remains, Hope this explains it better.

Are you sure you're taking about a "stock" XP? I've never seen it ask me if I want to protect the files.