Help with Stop error 0x0000008e

triger49

This machine is an HP a614n ....512 meg ram .... 2.6ghz P4 XP Home sp3.

Long story short, this came to me with a year's worth of neglect....almost 2 gig of crap files.....etc etc.

Spent several hours, cleaning up, updated video drivers and Directx, latest bios flash. Thing ran like a swiss watch for about 3 days. Just before I was ready to return it , I turned auto update back on. Ouch ... Auto update did it's thing for several minutes and froze. Power off, endless reboots.

Turn off auto reboot produces this error / bsod

0x0000008e (0xc0000005 0xeee508d3 0xf8a38968 0x00000000 )

After hours of tracing my steps, checking for trojans, I reinstalled Service pack 3 from safe mode...it booted and seemed normal so I created a restore point. Next reboot it goes back to the endless reboots.....I can however, always boot to that restore point and it will run with no problems.

From what I have been able to gather, it is a driver issue....can somebody give me a clue?

TIA

Jake

Just for what it's worth ..... :hello:

After digging around for days....was set'n here trying to decide about a clean install.....came across this tool I had downloaded several months ago...(one of those "dark and stormy night-save my bacon tools")

FSecure Blacklight.....wonder of wonders, it found 6 files that a whole bunch of others missed...did a clean and rename....bingo, boots everytime.

Also, looks they came from MSN messenger....gonna do a google trace on the file names...if anybody is interested, I'll post back with the results.......

Jake

...if anybody is interested, I'll post back with the results.....
Of course people are interested!

Lack of response does not indicate lack of interest.

Sometimes I find threads that are over a year old (some times more) and wish the results were posted because that thread happened to be of interest to me.. well years after it was posted.

Heck even if it took you several months and you would've stumbled upon the thread you left, and posted the tool you used. I'd be very happy to know the tool you used (or perhaps the folder that the malware created).

Not only that if the search engine re-spiders the thread (don't know if they do that), then the answers to the questions will be found.

Thank you for the tool name. I'll have to check it out and add it to my arsenal.

...if anybody is interested, I'll post back with the results.....
Of course people are interested!

Lack of response does not indicate lack of interest.

Thank you for the tool name. I'll have to check it out and add it to my arsenal.

Thanks ...you know, until this, I would have probably given 2 to 1 odds this machine was malware clean.... :blushing:

Here is a file list ........

system32\lowsec\local.ds

system32\lowsec\user.ds

system32\lowsec\user.ds.lll

system32\sdra64.exe

system32\drivers\str.sys

system32\drivers\ezvoiefzihcsvt.sys

F-secure blacklight took care of everything except Sdra64.exe and folder lowsec. They reappeared.....

Mcafee rootkit detective handled the rest by doing a nuke on boot.

Now the really strange part, took a trip back over to Bitdefender's online scan. The second scan revealed copies of the above files all thru system restore points under MSN and Real toolbar and was able to remove them. Sdra64 is a really scurvy piece of Malware....it does keyboard logging, and can replicate registry entrys in seconds.

Download links .....

http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/s...ces/blacklight/

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/rkstinger.aspx

Jake