Editing my wim image

Hi guys, got a bit of a dilemma and could use some advice as to what my options are. OK the situation is as follows.

I installed my Windows Vista Business and added all my drivers, programs, etc and then ran sysprep to prepare the image for new start. To run sysprep I had created an xml file which I put in C:\ Windows\system32\sysprep (folder).

I envoked the sysprep command to use my unattend xml file and close down the computer. All OK so far.

I then restarted my computer with my PE cd created from info on microsofts website. This went OK. I then compressed the image on C: and then copied it to the D: drive as I hadn't set up NET parameters. I then proceeded to erase the drive and re format it and after exiting the diskpart - I reinstated the image back on C: and rebooted (removing my PE boot cd ). OK everything seemed to be working but it threw up errors about not being able to translate parts of my unattended file. I thought I'd be able to bypass them and continue...nada!

My first attempt at sysprep worked fine without any hitches, but that one is without all my additions. I will add that on the second run I had changed the xml file for another one to add a few more parameters and it is that xml file that is letting me down.

OK here is my question! What are my options now. I have an image that I would like to keep because it took several hours to compose with all my programs etc.

Is it a simple case of opening the image with all my programs in WAIK and redoing the xml file?

I can give you more info as required.

One more thing. I have added a language program that I bought here in Sweden. Every time the computer crashes I need to retrieve a new key from the program site...I haven't any more keys left and don't want to have to pay for a new one.

I would, as always, appreciate any help I can get on this matter.

Thanks

bookie32

Hi guys, well, been looking around for info about my problem and found that wim images can be edited. I have followed instructions found here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...067(WS.10).aspx

I have not been able to mount my image even if the path is right I still get:

Listing all mounted images.....

Number of mounted images 0

I have since seen that you need to install wimfilter which I have and rebooted but still same problem?

Is there anyone who can throw me a bone on this one?

bookie32

Hi guys, well I had spelled Myimage1.wim wrong and that was my problem. I edited my image and replace the xml file and saved it. Well, that didn't solve a thing and now I am faced with a reinstall minus my language program!!

What I can't understand is the basic Vista setup was no problem could reinstate image no problem..And then I go to all the trouble of installing all my programs and drivers and run sysprep and shutdown the computer. I copied the image OK but on reinstallation it was just a mess?!!

What is the point of all this if I can't reuse my image?

I never had problems running sysprep on XP.

Well, back to the drawing board.

bookie32

Hi guys, I have been looking at my problem again and still can't think of a doable solution at the moment. I thought I might be lucky by replacing the unattend.xml. When I ran sysprep and prepared the computer - then some scripts must have been written into the image otherwise replacing the answer file should have worked.

I was wondering if there was a way to mount the wim image in vmware and re-run sysprep without a unattend.xml but haven't seen anything that can help me with that idea.

I will have to reprogram and then try again.

bookie32