Shutting of WFP without hacking DLLs

fdv

I ran across this by accident.

If you want WFP shut off, just specify invalid paths in the registry, like so:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","SFCDllCacheDir",,"z:"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Windows File Protection","SFCDllCacheDir",,"z:"

When these lines are inserted into one of the HIVE inf files before installing, this shuts WFP off.

No DLLs to hack.

There will be an error message in the Windows log saying WFP cannot find a valid path. I don't know if it has to be done before install or if it can also be done after. I actually like WFP so I'm not going to bother finding out. But if you want to disable WFP without hacking DLLs, there you go.

I apologize in advance if this is well known.

I've gotten around it in the past by using NTFSDOS or a PE to unlock and replace the "backup" files. This way, when I boot back into Windows and delete a file, WFP replaces it with the "original" which happened to be the file I replaced. I suppose your way is easier.

I ran across this by accident.

If you want WFP shut off, just specify invalid paths in the registry, like so:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","SFCDllCacheDir",,"z:"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Windows File Protection","SFCDllCacheDir",,"z:"

When these lines are inserted into one of the HIVE inf files before installing, this shuts WFP off.

No DLLs to hack.

There will be an error message in the Windows log saying WFP cannot find a valid path. I don't know if it has to be done before install or if it can also be done after. I actually like WFP so I'm not going to bother finding out. But if you want to disable WFP without hacking DLLs, there you go.

I apologize in advance if this is well known.

is it possible to made an batch file that can add this to the registry of the an unpacked iso file.

then how.

"is it possible to made an batch file that can add this to the registry of the an unpacked iso file.

then how."

An unpacked ISO? If your ISO is unpacked and you have direct access to the files in I386, you could add these lines to an INF file like AXANT5 for example, then recreate the ISO. That's what I did, personally. I use HFSLIP, by the way.

I don't know of a way to add registry values with a batch file, but I know it can be done.

Edited by fdv

"is it possible to made an batch file that can add this to the registry of the an unpacked iso file.

then how."

An unpacked ISO? If your ISO is unpacked and you have direct access to the files in I386, you could add these lines to an INF file like AXANT5 for example, then recreate the ISO. That's what I did, personally. I use HFSLIP, by the way.

I don't know of a way to add registry values with a batch file, but I know it can be done.

maybe i´m stupid but I don´t understand what you mean.

Does this work on both 2000 and XP.

Edited by Tripo

You insert the relevant reg-keys fdv kindly provided, either directly into one of the hive files(or other suited setup INFs), or you make an INF/REG-file or NT Command Script(needs reg.exe) with the reg-keys and define it to be run at either T-13(svcpack.inf), T-12(cmdlines.txt), or first-logon(GuiRunOnce/RunOnce[Ex])...