Installing Win 7 on new HDD

mn2az87

I'm having problems installing Win7 onto a new 160 Gig HDD, it just doesn't seem to want to install and I've let it run and then after 4 hours got the fatal error screen (blue). (I've used this dvd before on the 40 Gb HDD that I'm replacing and it installed in less than 1 hour). This is my first time using a larger HDD that includes having the OS on it (past 40 Gb) so I don't know if I need to do anything other than set my partition sizes, format and then let the disk do its thing. I was able to install XP on this drive with no problems at all using this method so I don't know why it doesn't seem to want to install 7. Any suggestions???

Sorry I didn't write it down and since I know that it shouldn't take 4 hrs to install, the times that I've tried to install it again after 2 hours I've just stopped the install. I've tried RC1 7100, 7077 and 7068 and they all reacted the same so I've just figure that I've done something wrong until I tried XP.

If your hard drive controller needs mass storage drivers (XP F6 drivers), then I would suspect that the drivers are not compatible with Windows 7. Besides that, I cant see any reason why W7 would have a fit with just a plain old hard drive/controller.

The HDD is a Samsung 160 Gb 5400RPM 8MB 2.5 IDE notebook hard drive and Compaq Presario 900 laptop. As far as the drivers you mentioned I have NO idea about.... I didn't have to do anything different form the past (partition, format, install) and it installed in 1 hr if that helps answer that ?. I've also tried a copy of vista and that just completely froze solid before you get to the install screen. At least 7 reacts. I just don't see any reason for a problem. If it had something to do with the controller I should of had a problem with XP also right? or am I wrong on that.

Correct. That's why I asked if you had to load those kinds of drivers. Don't know what it could be then. Maybe update your bios? Just clutching at straws here.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable might have some ideas.

I think I may need to put that other HDD back in and see if it may be my dvd drive has gone bad and that is what is giving me my problems. Thanx for clinching straws with but I think Ive got the shortest one right now.

The place that I bought it from is having me return it, they think the reason for not being able to install vista/7 but can xp is because of the installed system size. This HDD may have a bad sector that XP doesn't reach before completing the install and since vista/7 is larger it hits this bad sector and is why I can't install 7. Still have too many ?'s and things that don't make sense. At least they are replacing the drive and we will see if I still have problems.