Can I add new command-line formats?

reghakr

I've been using Universal Extractor since it first came out.

I use it everyday, because I like know what's inside the archives before installation.

Recently I downloaded a new version of Inno Setup unpacker and compared the version to the you in the bin directory. i found it was a higher version and was now able to unpack inno setup 5.23 versions.

I have a large collection of command-line utilities that I've collected over the years and was wondering if these could be added to the bin directory also to give it even more archive formates to unpack.

Thanks for your help,

Excellent program, :thumbup I refer it on the Windows7 forum when anyone asks about an unzipper.

• 11 months later...

I know I'm very late answering your question, but for reference: no, you can't. Support for new/different file types must be specifically added to UniExtract - a large chunk of the work done by UniExtract is to figure out what kind of file it's dealing with. Only after that can an appropriate helper binary be called, and at that point it still needs to supply the correct arguments in the correct order. So, adding a new unpacker to the bin directory won't get you anything; UniExtract will simply ignore it.

On the other hand, you can copy newer versions of existing helper binaries to the bin directory and UniExtract will (try to) take advantage of those. This is useful for dealing with newer versions of files released after the latest version of UniExtract, and as you pointed out, Inno Setup is a common offender here. You can download the latest version of innounp and copy it to the UniExtract bin directory. Generally, this should allow UniExtract to deal with the newer Inno Setup installers supported by innounp, but this isn't always a guarantee - depending on what changes are made in the newer version of the helper binaries, UniExtract may not be able to call it properly.