Win 7 RC is really, really slow.

MarkJohnson

just wondering why 32 went so well and 64 did not.. these are both legit version of the RC1 7100 release.. and both burned the same way..
They're both technically the same code, so slowness like that would definitely come back to driver issues (and seeing how slow the actual install is, probably the disk subsystem drivers). If you can reproduce it on a clean x64 install (not partitioned), you probably want to make that issue known.

What hardware are we talking about here?

I had the same problem, its the new 185 driver, it slows everything down a bunch. I just went back to 181 and all was good. 181, but the only bad thing is the Ambient Occlusion is missing form the 181 driver (and performance for some games stated in the 185 driver).

why would it be an nvidia driver if i dont use nvidia products and also if im installing from a fresh format then why would the install be slow because theres shouldnt even be any drivers in use at that point anyways. correct me if im wrong.. if someone could explaine to me what to do i would appreciate it very much thank you

why would it be an nvidia driver if i dont use nvidia products and also if im installing from a fresh format then why would the install be slow because theres shouldnt even be any drivers in use at that point anyways. correct me if im wrong.. if someone could explaine to me what to do i would appreciate it very much thank you

Sorry, there's two posts in this thread, so it's getting confusing. We're not responding to you, but I had a chance recently to look at the mobo you're using, and I have a Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G system sitting over here in the lab I'm sitting in, and I tried the same installation as you - Win7 x86 installed quite fast, about 25 minutes, and the x64 install took 2 hours. It's either the 64bit driver for the ICH7 (I also have an ICH9 and a few ICH10 systems that do not have this problem), or some other driver that would affect install (perhaps something on the USB or PCI bus, not sure). However, once installed, it boots and runs just as fast as the x86 install, for what it's worth. You might want to disable anything that's not necessary to install Win7 in your system's BIOS (like the network interfaces, audio, USB, etc) and see if that changes anything.

I just did a fresh install of win 7 RC. It runs so slow now. It takes a few seconds for the right-click menu to appear on the desktop.
II reinstalled Win 7 again last night. it was snappy at boot. I installed the nvidia 185.81 driver and it started acting up again.

I'm just having the slow context menu popup on Win7's desktop, but I do believe it is nvidia's 185.81 video drivers. Didn't do this on Windows Update(WU) WDM 1.1 drivers until I updated with nvidia's.

I'm not gonna revert back tho' because WU's drivers are sluggish on gameplay. Other than that I've had no problem.

Yeah, I've been having the same issues with 1.1 as well. It will lag out my game and cause it to crash or the folding crashes instead, sometimes both. but it definitely slows the game down quite a bit and I've reverted back to DX9 mode with a little improvement, but it still crashes. My SMP client only running and it still crashes and lags out. so right now I disable GPU 0 and SMP folding and all is fine. My game already has driver issues in DX10 mode so it may still be just a driver issue.

-=Mark=-