Broken Heatsink Latches on Dell Dimension 2350

buckdog05

I was working on a Dell™ Dimension™ 2350 yesterday that would shut down after being on for a few minutes, than turn off almost immediately after it was turned on after that.

I opened the computer up and noticed that the heatsink clips were off and that there was no thermal grease at all on the bottom of the heatsink. I applied some new grease and went to clip the heatsink back on, when I realized that there were only latches for the heatsink clips on one side of the processor area on the motherboard. I was stumped on how to get the heatsink on with only one set of latches, so I looked at the Dell support documentation and saw that there were indeed supposed to be two sets of latches (one on each side of the processor enclosure). I took a closer look at the computer and sure enough, it looks like the latches on one side of the enclosure are broken.

Would there be any kind of replacement heatsink that I could install that wouldn't require these latches, or some other way to install the existing heatsink (I may even try duct tape if I get desperate)?

Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I have no idea how they got broken, but that would explain why all of the old thermal grease burned off.

Thank you!

Would there be any kind of replacement heatsink that I could install that wouldn't require these latches, or some other way to install the existing heatsink (I may even try duct tape if I get desperate)?

Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I have no idea how they got broken, but that would explain why all of the old thermal grease burned off.

I`ve seen that many times before, but less with Dell. The clips need to push the heatsink down with force and with the stock Intel cooler the motherboard even bends.

I would look for an aftermarket cooler, clip the green part to the back-ventilator off and connect the cooler with a 3 pin to Molex connector to the PSU as I don't recall that Dell uses any standard 3 pin headers for ventilators on the motherboard. Most heatsinks come with a new pad and thermal-paste, just clean the top of the CPU with thinner and then with alcohol to clean the grease/oil of the thinner off.

Good advice puntoMX :hello:

On my Dell optiplex GX150 the three pin fan connector had a black socket around it to prevent non standard fans to be used but with some force I got it off to allow any three pin fan to work. If yours has one of these back sockets, that might help if you wanted to install an aftermarket cooler.

I`ve seen that many times before, but less with Dell. The clips need to push the heatsink down with force and with the stock Intel cooler the motherboard even bends.

I would look for an aftermarket cooler, clip the green part to the back-ventilator off and connect the cooler with a 3 pin to Molex connector to the PSU as I don't recall that Dell uses any standard 3 pin headers for ventilators on the motherboard. Most heatsinks come with a new pad and thermal-paste, just clean the top of the CPU with thinner and then with alcohol to clean the grease/oil of the thinner off.

Thank you very much for your reply. If the clips that hold the heatsink (not the green part that directs air to the back ventilator) is broken, though, how could an aftermarket cooler stay connected to the motherboard, though?

Thanks again!

If the clips that hold the heatsink (not the green part that directs air to the back ventilator) is broken, though, how could an aftermarket cooler stay connected to the motherboard, though?
With something like this, but some aftermarket coolers have them included.

If the clips that hold the heatsink (not the green part that directs air to the back ventilator) is broken, though, how could an aftermarket cooler stay connected to the motherboard, though?
With something like this, but some aftermarket coolers have them included.

You're the best, I didn't even know something like that existed. I picked one up off of eBay for $8 shipped. I'm going to keep the old heatsink because I don't think there's any problem with it, just the retention bracket.

One other question, I already wasted a half a tube of thermal grease putting the heatsink back on the processor and when I removed the heatsink now half of the grease is on the processor and half is on the heatsink. Should I clean the grease I put on the other day off with alcohol and reapply grease, or if I just set the heatsink back down on the processor once I install the new retention bracket will it be ok?

Thanks!

Always better to apply it again, just put a thin layer between heatsink and CPU, never apply it really thick, it's just to fill up the spaces that don't make contact when you put metal on metal.

I don't remember if your cooler has some plastic green clips, if so I think you can't use your cooler as it is now, but let's see if it works. you can use the computer still if you put it flat like a desktop if you need it.

Always better to apply it again, just put a thin layer between heatsink and CPU, never apply it really thick, it's just to fill up the spaces that don't make contact when you put metal on metal.

I don't remember if your cooler has some plastic green clips, if so I think you can't use your cooler as it is now, but let's see if it works. you can use the computer still if you put it flat like a desktop if you need it.

Thank you! The part came today and I applied the grease as you said. The computer works perfectly now, it's great!