Network Error

Hi everyone i am having a problem with a eithernet card i think . I installed windows 7 on a dif drive and no drivers for my onboard 3 com nic so i used a dlink dfe-530tx card that win7 had drivers for. I can see the other pc's but if i try and access them it locks up the pc i am trying to access. So i went back to booting to xp with that eithernet card still the same problem when i try to access the other pc's locks them up all pc's have diffrent ip's. If i enable the 3com and use it the problem goes away. I did run homegroup in win7 before i found out it only works with win 7 pc's but disabled it later. Any idea would help.

Thank You

So one of your network cards is able to "lock up" other machines on the network when you try to "access" them? Can you elaborate on what you mean by "lock up" and by "access"? That is, do the remote machines suffer a BSOD or other error messages, does a window or process hang, or does the mouse become unresponsive; etc. Are you sure its not the local machine with the D-Link card this is "locking up"?

Also what operating system is installed on these remote machines?

Furthermore, what model motherboard are you using with a 3com LOM?

Hi thank you for your responce. The motherboard is an ABIT KV8 Max 3 with an AMD64 3800+, 3GB RAM, and 6600GT.

If I use the onboard 3 com nic in windows xp on this system i have no problems and can access this system from the vista 64 bit system q9550 8 gig ram 2 9800 gtx with onboard realtek rtl8168c. If I use the dlink card on the amd system from my vista 64 bit system and try access this amd system this system lock's up you cant move the mouse or anything. From the vista 64 bit system using the dlink card on this system i can see the amd pc and when i click it it opens the shares on the amd pc but if i try to access any of these shared folders it locks the amd system up.

I hope this is a better explanation. This error started when i installed windows 7 64 bit and had to use the dlink card i thought it was a win 7 problem but to test i plugged the xp drive back in and it did the same thing on xp so i think if i get it fixed for xp it will work in win 7 and then i can remove xp forever. Oh also using the dlink card i have no problems connecting to the internet in win 7 or xp its just when i access the shares.

Thank You

Edited by DigeratiPrime
split into paragraphs :-)

I am still a little confused about the actual setup described.

You have two systems, with different motherboards and versions of windows.

Do both computers have shares or just one of them?

I interpret that:

If you put the D-Link PCI card in your XP system and try to read the shares on the Vista system it hangs.

If you put the D-Link PCI card in your Vista system and try to read the shares on the XP system it hangs.

Is that right?

Hi the dlink card is only in the amd system and yes with it in, it can access the share on vista. but with the dlink card in the amd system the vista system can see the amd dlink system .I can see the pc name in the network on vista if i click it it opens the shares to show the folders that are shared on the amd system , if i try to access those shares on the amd system it locks the amd system up. the network card in the vista system is realtek it works fine and never has had the dlink card in it as it has no pci slots. With the 3com lom onboard in the amd system i dont have any problem accessing the amd system from the vista system. So with the dlink card in the amd system when vista trys to access the shares on the amd system it locks the amd system up. I want to use the dlink card as win 7 has drivers for it if i can get it to work.

Thank You

So you do have shares on both machines then.

XP can see the Vista shares and traverse them when the onboard 3com lom is used.

And Vista can see the XP shares and traverse them when the onboard 3com lom is used.

However when the D-Link is enabled and/or connected ( I guess the 3com is disabled and/or disconnected) Vista can see the shares on the XP machine, but XP hangs when Vista tries to traverse them.

Are you using the same ethernet cable when you change between the 3com and the D-Link?

What is in between these two machines, a Switch?

Check that all the Network adapters are configured for Auto Negotiation in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc).

Example:

GenericMarvellYukon88E8056basedEthe.png

Hi again hehe yes all eithernet cards are set to that . One thing that i noticed from the vista system when i click network it shows me the amd system if i click it it opens the shares .If i do not click the share and only put my mouse on it to select it, on the bottom of the vista network window it shows me the size of the share in meg so it does read the share. But if i click any shared folder from the vista system thats when the amd locks up. I know the dlink is a cheap entry level card but it should work.

Thank You

The only mystery is why you can access the shares on the XP system from the Vista system when connecting through the 3com LOM but not through the D-Link NIC.

Create a new share on XP, just an empty folder, and try connecting to it.

Basically do you have two ethernet cables going to the XP system, or just one? I want to know if you are testing with the same cable.

On the XP system are both adapters set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"?

Do you have any firewall software on the XP system?

Hi i only have one eithernet cable connected to the amd system its the same one i use on the 3com or the dlink i only have one plugged in at a time. Each eithernet card has a dif ip assigned. Windows firewall is disabled and zonealarm is setup to allow both of those ips. But it happens to the dlink card if zonealarm is on or off. I disable one card to try the other, when i try the dlink i uninstall the 3com in device manger reboot disable it in bios and then continue to boot and load only the dlink. I have created new shares and same thing happens.

Thank You

I didn't ask if an IP was assigned, I asked if the IP and DNS were set to be obtained automatically.

Review these instructions:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130003

If you force a memory dump while the XP system is hanging, I or someone here might analyze it to see what was causing the hang.

You will probably need to upload it somwhere else, like rapidshare.

hi well if it has a ip assigned it cant have auto assign . it locks no reports in event viewer. I am not a noob its just i have never run into this problem before. I will fix it and use the marvel yukon drivers for the 3com onboard and forget about the dlink. I just thought someone here may have run into it before and i would get a easy fix this is not the case so ill figure it out. Thank You for your help have a good day.

Hammey

Hi what i have found that a new dfe-530tx is a undersized card these cards where first made in 1999 and just dont have a chance of comunitcating with modern cards transmit and receive buffers on the card only go down to 64 not 50 and setting it at 100 does not help. So with the new dfe-530tx it does not work. I installed a new dge-530t it auto set receive and trasmit buffers to 50. the vista system can connect no problem. But i guess what can you expect for a 14 $ eithernet card the dfe-530tx is still being sold today i would stay away from it.

Hammey

I have a suspicion that something might be misconfigured on the XP system, and not necessarily the D-Link NIC.

Last thing I would suggest trying is installing that NIC in the Vista pc and see if XP can access the shares - I doubt the adapter could be sensitive to application layer protocols ;)

Lest us know if you find anything.

Hi no i have decided to spend no more time with a 14 $ card lol may be ok for internet access but no go on network shares.I have to go with its the card as they are not old cards they where bought like 3 months ago still in the boxes, and to have 4 of them do the same thing, but the card does not support very much in settings, as soon as i put in the new dge-530t a card worth 39 $ it all worked so im happy I never buy cheap crap dont know how i got those lol.

Thank You

Hammey